Record 5.58 lakh pilgrims visit Amaranth shrine
Jammu: A record number of 5.58 lakh pilgrims
offered prayers at the 13,500-ft high Amarnath cave shrine so
far this year, officials said.
The previous highest figure was 5.33 lakh in 2008, they
The annual pilgrimage commenced on June 29 from the
twin tracks of Baltal in Ganderbal and Pahalgam in Anantnag
district and the number of pilgrims touched the five lakh mark
on July 21.
The yatra is scheduled to end on August 13 coinciding with
the Hindu festival of `Raksha Bandhan`.
Last year 4.56 lakh pilgrims had offered their prayers at
the shrine despite unrest in the Valley.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: Amma critical, nation's political fraternity expresses concern - Who said what
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender