Record foodgrains production facilitates Food Bill
New Delhi: The agriculture sector performed
exceedingly well in 2011, with record foodgrains production of
over 240 million tonnes giving enough leeway for the
government to lift a ban on exports of wheat and non-basmati
rice and introduce the Food Security Bill in Parliament.
Farmers` long-standing demand for crop loans at a 4 per
cent rate of interest was met during the year, although with a
rider that the facility would be available to only those
farmers that pay their crop loans on time.
A sharp rise in the farm credit target by Rs 1,00,000
crore to Rs 4,75,000 crore and the launch of new schemes with
a total outlay of Rs 1,500 crore to raise production of
nutri-cereals, fodder, palm oil, vegetables and protein
supplements were the other major highlights of the year.
These items -- and not wheat and rice -- were the major
contributors to food inflation, which remained high almost
throughout the year before falling sharply to nearly a
four-year low of 1.81 per cent for the week ended December 10.
Helped by timely and bountiful rains last year, the
agriculture sector bounced back with a record harvest of
241.56 million tonnes of foodgrains in the 2010-11 crop year,
with production of wheat, pulses and coarse cereals touching
an all-time high.
In the 2009-10 crop year (July-June), foodgrains
production fell by 16 million tonnes to 218 million tonnes due
to a severe drought in 2009.
A noteworthy performance was seen in pulses and oilseeds
production, on which the government has focused its efforts to
make India self-sufficient and reduce dependence on imports.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- Lalu Yadav invites Jitan Ram Manjhi for joint fight against BJP, JD(U) upset
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Littering, defacement to be made punishable offence
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 may not be announced today
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Check JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 declared on jac.nic.in
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Osama files show an "Indian brother in Madinah” financed al Qaeda