Reddy meets PM, presses for Telangana state
New Delhi: Petroleum Minister and senior
Congress leader from Andhra Pradesh S Jaipal Reddy on Friday met
Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and is understood to have
pressed for creation of separate state of Telangana.
Reddy met Singh in the morning and apprised him of the
situation in Hyderabad and nine other districts in the
Telangana region in the wake of the statehood demand coming to
the centre stage yet again.
Sources said Reddy, who represents Chelvela Lok Sabha
seat in Telangana, is believed to have conveyed to the Prime
Minister the sentiments of the people of the region that
carving out of a separate state appeared to be the only
After the 40-minute meeting, Reddy said he gave
complete details of the present situation in the region.
The meeting assumes significance as the lawmakers from
the region who have resigned to press for the statehood
demand have been keeping regular contact with him.
The Telangana statehood demand gained momentum this
week after over 100 MLAs and 15 MPs, cutting across party
lines, submitted their resignations to respective presiding
They have also ruled out taking back their
resignations unless the Centre takes a decision on the issue.
Reddy told reporters that he had conveyed to the Prime
Minister his assessment and view in the matter.
"This is between me and my Prime Minister. I have
expressed the view clearly and unambiguously. However, as a
Cabinet minister I will will not not be able to disclose what
I mentioned to the Prime Minister," he said.
He said everybody was worried about the Telangana
situation and he was also worried.
"I did not not discuss the question of President`s
rule at all. Only conveyed my assessment of the situation,"
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Post Uri attack, India strengthens border surveillance along LOC
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray