Reddy meets PM, presses for Telangana state
New Delhi: Petroleum Minister and senior
Congress leader from Andhra Pradesh S Jaipal Reddy on Friday met
Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and is understood to have
pressed for creation of separate state of Telangana.
Reddy met Singh in the morning and apprised him of the
situation in Hyderabad and nine other districts in the
Telangana region in the wake of the statehood demand coming to
the centre stage yet again.
Sources said Reddy, who represents Chelvela Lok Sabha
seat in Telangana, is believed to have conveyed to the Prime
Minister the sentiments of the people of the region that
carving out of a separate state appeared to be the only
After the 40-minute meeting, Reddy said he gave
complete details of the present situation in the region.
The meeting assumes significance as the lawmakers from
the region who have resigned to press for the statehood
demand have been keeping regular contact with him.
The Telangana statehood demand gained momentum this
week after over 100 MLAs and 15 MPs, cutting across party
lines, submitted their resignations to respective presiding
They have also ruled out taking back their
resignations unless the Centre takes a decision on the issue.
Reddy told reporters that he had conveyed to the Prime
Minister his assessment and view in the matter.
"This is between me and my Prime Minister. I have
expressed the view clearly and unambiguously. However, as a
Cabinet minister I will will not not be able to disclose what
I mentioned to the Prime Minister," he said.
He said everybody was worried about the Telangana
situation and he was also worried.
"I did not not discuss the question of President`s
rule at all. Only conveyed my assessment of the situation,"
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Militants kill two engineers in Pakistan airport attack