Redress grievances of rural mass: Centre to states
New Delhi: The Centre today made a strong
plea before the states for sincere redressal of grievances of
rural mass to ensure speedy and effective implementation of
the Mahatma Gandhi NREGA and other rural development schemes.
"Give an ear to grievances of rural mass for speedy
and effective implementation of the Act...why do you hesitate
in taking timely decisions towards the redressal of problems
faced by them ?" Rural Development Minister C P Joshi was
quoted by a ministry official as saying.
Joshi was chairing inaugural session of the two-day
Performance Review Committee meet of the Ministry to take
stock of the progress made by states in implementation of the
schemes of his Ministry.
During the meeting, a web-enabled software to deal
with physical and financial target setting was also launched
for Indira Awaas Yojana, the official said.
"NREGA and Indira Awaas Yojna remained the agenda of
today`s meeting," he said.
National overview of the NREGA on various parameters
for financial year 2009-10 revealed that the average number of
days of employment per household remained 54 days with 5.25
crore households being provided employment under the flagship
The participation of members of scheduled castes and
scheduled tribes in NREGA programmes were found to be around
31 per cent and 21 per cent respectively while women`s
participation remained around 49 per cent during 2009-10, the
official said, adding 33.84 lakh houses were constructed and
upgraded in 2009-10 as against the target of 40.52 lakh.
Secretaries and representatives from different states
and Union Territories attended the meeting with other
stakeholders, the official said.
This is the first meeting of the Performance Review
Committee of the Ministry for financial year 2010-11.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- President Mukherjee inspect International Fleet Review at Vishakhapatnam
- Divyansh's death not an accident, but a murder?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How realising the purpose of life gives you direction
- Was Divyansh sexually assaulted and then murdered?
- India takes inspiration from Iran; sets up 'Hanger of Kindness' in Delhi
- VIDEO: Mohammad Amir's hat-trick in Match 2 of PSL 2016
- Oh so cute! PM Narendra Modi pulls Akshay Kumar's son Aarav Kumar's ear!-- See pic
- Muslim personal law can't be subjected to scrutiny by Supreme Court: Jamiat-Ulama-i-Hind
- IPL 2016 auction - As it happened...
- Not Delhi, but Varanasi and Muzaffarpur the most polluted cities in India