Reforms bills may be victim of parliamentary logja
New Delhi: Unrelenting protest from the opposition on coal mines allocation scam and JPC on 2G spectrum in Parliament may end up scuttling government plans to get crucial legislation like the Insurance, Pension and Land Acquisition Bills passed in the second half of the budget session.
With just 11 working days left in this Parliament session and disruptions in both Houses continuing, senior UPA ministers feel only the Finance Bill and the rail budget will get passed.
Sources in both the government and the opposition, including BJP and the Left, maintain that no Bill is likely to come up for discussion this week.
BJP and the Left are opposed to the Insurance and Pensions Bills which propose to increase FDI from 26 to 49 per cent.
With the opposition pressing for the resignation of Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and Law Minister Ashwani Kumar, a consensus on these two Bills appears a far cry, sources said.
But Finance Minister P Chidambaram is still hopeful of a consensus and is reportedly in touch with Leader of the Opposition in Lok Sabha Sushma Swaraj and her Rajya Sabha counterpart Arun Jaitley.
The Land Acquisition Bill, on which a consensus had emerged between UPA government and BJP, is also hanging fire due to the current impasse. Government sources said it would be difficult to discuss and pass this Bill in both Houses in such a short time.
A meeting of all parties is likely to take place on the Food Security Bill. BJP, Left and even some sections of UPA are opposed to certain provisions of the proposed legislation. In this scenario, it is unlikely that the Bill will be passed in the current session.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Panel discussion on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's hanging
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- What Yakub Memon did in minutes before being hanged
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez