Reforms bills may be victim of parliamentary logja
New Delhi: Unrelenting protest from the opposition on coal mines allocation scam and JPC on 2G spectrum in Parliament may end up scuttling government plans to get crucial legislation like the Insurance, Pension and Land Acquisition Bills passed in the second half of the budget session.
With just 11 working days left in this Parliament session and disruptions in both Houses continuing, senior UPA ministers feel only the Finance Bill and the rail budget will get passed.
Sources in both the government and the opposition, including BJP and the Left, maintain that no Bill is likely to come up for discussion this week.
BJP and the Left are opposed to the Insurance and Pensions Bills which propose to increase FDI from 26 to 49 per cent.
With the opposition pressing for the resignation of Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and Law Minister Ashwani Kumar, a consensus on these two Bills appears a far cry, sources said.
But Finance Minister P Chidambaram is still hopeful of a consensus and is reportedly in touch with Leader of the Opposition in Lok Sabha Sushma Swaraj and her Rajya Sabha counterpart Arun Jaitley.
The Land Acquisition Bill, on which a consensus had emerged between UPA government and BJP, is also hanging fire due to the current impasse. Government sources said it would be difficult to discuss and pass this Bill in both Houses in such a short time.
A meeting of all parties is likely to take place on the Food Security Bill. BJP, Left and even some sections of UPA are opposed to certain provisions of the proposed legislation. In this scenario, it is unlikely that the Bill will be passed in the current session.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- DNA: America standing against old nemesis Russia rather than ISIS
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know