Rehabilitate rape victim first: Lok Sabha Speaker
New Delhi: Lok Sabha Speaker Meira Kumar on Friday said it is imperative to help victims of sex crimes recover from the trauma and restore their self-confidence.
"Whenever an incident of crime against women takes place, everyone seeks the immediate arrest of the culprits and demands strict action against them. However, it is imperative to help the victim recover from the mental trauma and restore her self-confidence," the speaker said while inaugurating a two-day seminar on "Gender Justice and Responsive Governance" in Parliament House Annexe here.
Kumar said that instances had come to light when it became difficult for the victims to attend school or college and at times they were rusticated from institutions.
"If she is working, she is removed from her job. Some relatives and members of her own community ostracize her," said the speaker.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Kailash Vijayvargiya on Akshay Singh's death: Is a journalist bigger than me?
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- 'Selfie with daughter' controversy: Bollywood supports Shruti Seth