Rehabilitate rape victim first: Lok Sabha Speaker
New Delhi: Lok Sabha Speaker Meira Kumar on Friday said it is imperative to help victims of sex crimes recover from the trauma and restore their self-confidence.
"Whenever an incident of crime against women takes place, everyone seeks the immediate arrest of the culprits and demands strict action against them. However, it is imperative to help the victim recover from the mental trauma and restore her self-confidence," the speaker said while inaugurating a two-day seminar on "Gender Justice and Responsive Governance" in Parliament House Annexe here.
Kumar said that instances had come to light when it became difficult for the victims to attend school or college and at times they were rusticated from institutions.
"If she is working, she is removed from her job. Some relatives and members of her own community ostracize her," said the speaker.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Munich attack: 18-year-old German-Iranian gunman kills 9 at shopping mall
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley?
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part II
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part III
- DNA: Analyzing the real problems of patriotic Kashmir's residents
- Warrants issued in Turkey for arrest of 300 Presidential Guards
- Democrat Hilary Clinton picks Kaine as vice presidential running mate
- Munich shooter was German-Iranian, motive `unclear`: Police
- Rajnath Singh to arrive in trouble-torn Kashmir on Saturday
- WOAH! Cristiano Ronaldo opens own 'CR7' hotel, gives name to airport