Rehabilitate rape victim first: Lok Sabha Speaker
New Delhi: Lok Sabha Speaker Meira Kumar on Friday said it is imperative to help victims of sex crimes recover from the trauma and restore their self-confidence.
"Whenever an incident of crime against women takes place, everyone seeks the immediate arrest of the culprits and demands strict action against them. However, it is imperative to help the victim recover from the mental trauma and restore her self-confidence," the speaker said while inaugurating a two-day seminar on "Gender Justice and Responsive Governance" in Parliament House Annexe here.
Kumar said that instances had come to light when it became difficult for the victims to attend school or college and at times they were rusticated from institutions.
"If she is working, she is removed from her job. Some relatives and members of her own community ostracize her," said the speaker.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- LIVE: Five nations pull out of SAARC Summit to express solidarity with India over Uri attack
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof