Rehabilitate rape victim first: Lok Sabha Speaker
New Delhi: Lok Sabha Speaker Meira Kumar on Friday said it is imperative to help victims of sex crimes recover from the trauma and restore their self-confidence.
"Whenever an incident of crime against women takes place, everyone seeks the immediate arrest of the culprits and demands strict action against them. However, it is imperative to help the victim recover from the mental trauma and restore her self-confidence," the speaker said while inaugurating a two-day seminar on "Gender Justice and Responsive Governance" in Parliament House Annexe here.
Kumar said that instances had come to light when it became difficult for the victims to attend school or college and at times they were rusticated from institutions.
"If she is working, she is removed from her job. Some relatives and members of her own community ostracize her," said the speaker.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Ten interesting facts about hockey legend Dhyan Chand
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Wife catches husband along with his girlfriend at Goa airport, video goes viral – Watch