Rehabilitate rape victim first: Lok Sabha Speaker
New Delhi: Lok Sabha Speaker Meira Kumar on Friday said it is imperative to help victims of sex crimes recover from the trauma and restore their self-confidence.
"Whenever an incident of crime against women takes place, everyone seeks the immediate arrest of the culprits and demands strict action against them. However, it is imperative to help the victim recover from the mental trauma and restore her self-confidence," the speaker said while inaugurating a two-day seminar on "Gender Justice and Responsive Governance" in Parliament House Annexe here.
Kumar said that instances had come to light when it became difficult for the victims to attend school or college and at times they were rusticated from institutions.
"If she is working, she is removed from her job. Some relatives and members of her own community ostracize her," said the speaker.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Ayodhya dispute: SC asks parties to solve matter amicably, offers mediation
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- This fiery speech by Yogi Adityanath in Parliament on communal riots is setting internet on fire - MUST WATCH
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Team Yogi Adityanath: List of Yogi's ministers with their portfolios - Check who got what