Reinstate Mirza in DRDO if no evidence against him: Katju
New Delhi: Press Council Chairperson Markandey Katju has demanded that the government reinstate DRDO scientist Aijaz Ahmed Mirza who was arrested on terror charges but released on bail as the National Investigation Agency did not file a charge sheet against him.
In a letter written to Defence Minister AK Antony and Karnataka Chief Minister Jagadish Shettar, Katju said that if there is no evidence against Mirza, he should be reinstated and given adequate compensation, besides an open apology by central and state governments.
"I would request you to look into this matter immediately, and if it is true that there is no evidence against Aijaz Ahmed Mirza, he should be reinstated forthwith on the post he was holding before he was sacked, otherwise a wrong message will be sent throughout the country that Muslims are terrorists and are fair game for being persecuted and victimised by the communal forces," the PCI Chief said in his letter.
Katju said that he had already issued a press note criticising the false implication of Muslims in bomb blast cases. He also said that Mirza had in a TV interview said that he was tortured and made to suffer indignities in jail.
"Hence I request you to ensure that apart from reinstating him, adequate compensation is awarded to him by the central and state government and an open apology is issued by central and state government to Aijaz Ahmed," Katju said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India successfully test launches first ever indigenous space shuttle
- PM Modi to meet top Iranian leaders today
- Pakistan denounces US drone strike on Taliban chief Mullah Mansoor
- BJP's Roopa Ganguly attacked by Trinamool workers near Kolkata
- PM Modi in Tehran: India, Iran sign historic pact on Chabahar port
- Madonna pays tribute to Prince at Billboard Music Awards
- CBI likely to grill ex-Haryana CM Hooda in HUDA land scam
- High alert across LoC after terror attacks in Srinagar, manhunt on for Hizb-ul-Mujahideen militants
- ISRO's RLV-TD launch: Why it matters to India!
- Meet Priyanka Chopra's 'woman crush'! You will love her for sure