Rejection of US jets disappointing: Envoy
New Delhi: With its fighters losing out in
the bid for India`s multi-billion dollar deal, the US Thursday said it was "deeply disappointed" over it but was "respectful"
of the procurement process.
In a statement here, Ambassador Timothy Roemer said he
had been assured at the highest levels in the Indian
government that the procurement process for the fighters "has
been and will be transparent and fair"
He said the US looked forward to continuing to grow and
develop defence partnership with India.
"The US Embassy in New Delhi was informed yesterday that
two aircraft offered by the US Government through the Foreign
Military Sales process were not selected for procurement by
the Indian Ministry of Defence," the statement said.
"We are reviewing the documents received from the
Government of India and are respectful of the procurement
process. We are, however, deeply disappointed by this news,"
He was commenting on the rejection of Boeing`s F-18 and
Lockheed-Martin`s F-16 fighters by India in the bid for
multi-billion dollar Medium Multi-Role Combat Aircraft (MMRCA)
deal in which Eurofighter and French plane Rafale have been
Roemer said he was "extremely confident" that the Boeing
F-18IN and Lockheed-Martin F-16IN would provide the Indian Air
Force an "unbeatable platform with proven technologies at a
He said he had been personally assured at the highest
levels of the Indian government that the "procurement process
for this aircraft has been and will be transparent and fair."
Remaining convinced that the US offers its defence
partners around the globe the world’s most advanced and
reliable technology, the envoy said, "We look forward to
continuing to grow and develop our defence partnership with
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister