Rekha makes `guest appearance` in Parliament amidst controversy
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: Amidst hullabaloo over her absence from Parliament, actor Rekha on Tuesday made a brief appearance in the Rajya Sabha for the first time in the session.
The 59-year-old Bollywood veteran came in the Rajya Sabha at around 12 noon and left at 12:30 pm, making a guest appearance.
Wearing a golden silk sari, the film star was seen sitting next to social worker Anu Aga. Both are nominated members in the upper house.
Rekha was seen talking with Aga and the two left the house shortly before it was adjourned for lunch.
Congress leader Rajiv Shukla defended the actor and said: "Rekha has come earlier also. It is not that she has come for the first time".
Rekha`s absence from the house, along with cricketer Sachin Tendulkar came under criticism last week.
Both the members were nominated to the Rajya Sabha in April 2012. Tendulkar has attended just three sittings so far. He Tendulkar has not attended a single meeting this year -- his last appearance being on December 13, 2013.
Tendulkar made an application for leave on Monday, and was granted permission to be absent even as some members protested.
Rekha, before her appearance on Tuesday, had only seven days attendance since she was nominated to the Rajya Sabha in 2012. She had last attended the house on February 19, 2014.
As per Article 104 of the Constitution, if a member is absent from either house of Parliament for a period of 60 days, the seat is considered vacant.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Exclusive chat with Ranchi's visually challenged singer Tumpa Kumari
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Kailash Vijayvargiya on Akshay Singh's death: Is a journalist bigger than me?
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Shahid Kapoor marriage: 500 guests have been invited for the wedding, says card designer
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K, one BSF jawan killed in Kupwara
- Mass failure in DU exam: HRD Minister Smriti Irani asks officials to enquire