Relationship with India critically important: US Senators
Washington: A bipartisan group of three top US Senators have said that a strong relationship with India is critically important to American interests, ahead of meeting between US President Barack Obama and Prime Minister Manmohan Singh at the White House this week.
Welcoming the Indian Prime Minister on his US visit, senators Mark Warner, John Corny and Robert Menendez introduced a Congressional resolution which says that there is a strong potential for increasing the bilateral relationship between both the countries.
Commending the progress of the partnership, the resolution acknowledged that the economic reforms has opened new channels for FDI, and believed further liberalisation can bring increased prosperity to both the countries.
The resolution said the discussions between both the leaders should facilitate further economic liberalisation, open new channels for FDI, continue progress towards a bilateral investment treaty and implement the US-India civil nuclear agreement.
"While we have made significant progress in transforming the US-India relationship from a friendship to a true partnership, we must continue to implement many of these policies that have been under discussion for several years," said Warner, Co-Chair of the Senate India caucus.
"I hope these meetings with Prime Minister Singh and the delegation provide that opportunity," he said.
The US and India share a commitment to democracy, security, prosperity, and the rule of law, and that has formed the bedrock for a growing economic and security relationship, said Senator Corny, Co-Chair of the Senate India Caucus.
"It is my hope that the US-India partnership, based on mutual respect and trust, will continue to grow and provide even greater opportunities for the people of both nations," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read