Relatives of Flt Lt Praveen hail conferring of award on him
Madurai: Relatives of Flight Lieutenant K Praveen, who died in a helicopter crash while engaged in rescue operations in last year`s rain tragedy in Uttarakhand, on Sunday welcomed the Government`s decision to confer "Shaurya Chakra" Award on him posthumously.
"The award given to him posthumously gives us satisfaction as it is a recognition to his selfless service and valour," they said.
Praveen, who hailed from this city, was Wg Cdr Darryl Castelino`s co-pilot on the ill-fated Mi-17 V5.
Castelino was conferred the Kirti Chakra posthumously for saving passengers and central armed forces personnel on June 23 last year before his Mi-17 V5 chopper crashed, killing all 20 personnel on board.
Praveen`s friend Mahesh Gabriell said, "It is an award for his courage and sacrifice... Now the younger generation will take him as a role model."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why