Relatives of Flt Lt Praveen hail conferring of award on him
Madurai: Relatives of Flight Lieutenant K Praveen, who died in a helicopter crash while engaged in rescue operations in last year`s rain tragedy in Uttarakhand, on Sunday welcomed the Government`s decision to confer "Shaurya Chakra" Award on him posthumously.
"The award given to him posthumously gives us satisfaction as it is a recognition to his selfless service and valour," they said.
Praveen, who hailed from this city, was Wg Cdr Darryl Castelino`s co-pilot on the ill-fated Mi-17 V5.
Castelino was conferred the Kirti Chakra posthumously for saving passengers and central armed forces personnel on June 23 last year before his Mi-17 V5 chopper crashed, killing all 20 personnel on board.
Praveen`s friend Mahesh Gabriell said, "It is an award for his courage and sacrifice... Now the younger generation will take him as a role model."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’