Relatives of Flt Lt Praveen hail conferring of award on him
Madurai: Relatives of Flight Lieutenant K Praveen, who died in a helicopter crash while engaged in rescue operations in last year`s rain tragedy in Uttarakhand, on Sunday welcomed the Government`s decision to confer "Shaurya Chakra" Award on him posthumously.
"The award given to him posthumously gives us satisfaction as it is a recognition to his selfless service and valour," they said.
Praveen, who hailed from this city, was Wg Cdr Darryl Castelino`s co-pilot on the ill-fated Mi-17 V5.
Castelino was conferred the Kirti Chakra posthumously for saving passengers and central armed forces personnel on June 23 last year before his Mi-17 V5 chopper crashed, killing all 20 personnel on board.
Praveen`s friend Mahesh Gabriell said, "It is an award for his courage and sacrifice... Now the younger generation will take him as a role model."
- President's Rule to continue in Uttarakhand, next hearing in SC on May 3
- Panel discussion on AgustaWestland chopper scam and Sonia Gandhi's role
- Panel discussion on AgustaWestland chopper scam and Sonia Gandhi's role - Part II
- Panel discussion on AgustaWestland chopper scam and Sonia Gandhi's role - Part III
- Panel discussion on AgustaWestland chopper scam and Sonia Gandhi's role - Part IV
- AgustaWestland chopper deal: No bilateral meeting between PM Modi, Italian Premier Matteo Renzi at UNGA, says MEA
- Will give 'all justifications' for 8.8% EPF interest rate: Dattatreya
- Are you or people around you happy or sad? Twitter has the answer!
- From Shahid Kapoor to Tommy Singh: Check out the eye-popping transformation for 'Udta Punjab' – Watch
- Finance Ministry defends lower interest rate on EPF, cites lack of funds