Relatives of Flt Lt Praveen hail conferring of award on him
Madurai: Relatives of Flight Lieutenant K Praveen, who died in a helicopter crash while engaged in rescue operations in last year`s rain tragedy in Uttarakhand, on Sunday welcomed the Government`s decision to confer "Shaurya Chakra" Award on him posthumously.
"The award given to him posthumously gives us satisfaction as it is a recognition to his selfless service and valour," they said.
Praveen, who hailed from this city, was Wg Cdr Darryl Castelino`s co-pilot on the ill-fated Mi-17 V5.
Castelino was conferred the Kirti Chakra posthumously for saving passengers and central armed forces personnel on June 23 last year before his Mi-17 V5 chopper crashed, killing all 20 personnel on board.
Praveen`s friend Mahesh Gabriell said, "It is an award for his courage and sacrifice... Now the younger generation will take him as a role model."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Cabinet meeting on 7th Pay Commission may approve higher salaries for govt employees
- Cabinet meeting on 7th Pay Commission may approve higher salaries for govt employees - Part II
- Monsoon havoc: Delhi lacks proper drainage system
- SC rejects plea seeking ban on WhatsApp messaging app
- 7th Pay Commission: Cabinet approves pay hike for govt employees
- China: Man rapes housemate, dumps victim in suitcase
- Good news for home buyers! Builders may have to pay 11% interest for delay in housing projects
- Case filed against PM Narendra Modi for insulting national flag
- Subramanian Swamy says he stands by PM Narendra Modi
- Fraudulous chit funds back to haunt Bengal in agricultural schemes avatar