Relax visa norms for Indian professionals, India tells US
Washington: India has strongly taken up the difficulties faced by its companies and American MNCs in getting a US visa for Indian professionals with the Obama Administration and asked to make sure that the issue does not hinder the fast growing trade and commerce ties between the two countries.
Concluding his three-day trip to Washington, Commerce and Industry Minister, Anand Sharma, said that he effectively raised the visa issue with top Obama Administration officials, in particular those being given to Indian professionals; who are in a very high demand in the US.
"I have the issue of visas, particularly for the professionals. Given the fact that a large number of Indian entities are engaged here generating employment and creating wealth," Sharma said.
Noting that there has been significant agreements between Indian and the US cooperate entities, he said recently Bharati group has given USD 2.5 billion contract to the IBM.
"We have Indian professionals visit the countries, or go to work in other countries in the USA or for that matter other parts of Europe.
Arguing that the impression that Indian professionals eat into the jobs of the Americans was "not correct", he said "in India, we have large number of multinationals which have their R & D hubs in India. More than 130 of the Fortune 500 countries have already established their bases in India. So it is mutually rewarded."
He said that chairmen and CEOs of who`s who of the US industry have expressed need for greater understanding and creating sensitivity about the contributions made by Indian companies and also the fact that India was not a net exporter of services.
"We are net importer of services too. So, the impression that the jobs are lost was not correct. I do expect that the business leaders in the US would make special effort to inform and sensitise those Congressmen and women who may not have been adequately informed or may have certain misgivings, which I share," Sharma said.
The Minister, at the same time, did concede the delay in issuing of Indian business visas to US business has been discussed in the past.
"It was not only vis-a-vis US, but other countries as well. We had a comprehensive visa review and at no stage our policy was intended to restrict business visas or create difficulties for those who generally come and work," Sharma said dismissing concerns being expressed by the US business on delay in issue of Indian business visa to US professionals.
He said that all Indian missions have a complete clarity on the visa policy. In fact, an advisory has been sent to all Indian missions through foreign ministry last week Indian Ambassador to US, Meera Shankar said by and large business visas have been issued fairly promptly.
"I think there have been some questions about the new rules that have come out of India for revisiting India in two months primarily on security grounds. Those apply to tourist visas. They do not apply to business visas," she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- Lalu Yadav invites Jitan Ram Manjhi for joint fight against BJP, JD(U) upset
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 may not be announced today
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Osama files show an "Indian brother in Madinah” financed al Qaeda
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp