`Release of 2G accused may influence witnesses`
New Delhi: Janata Party president Subramanian Swamy Thursday said the high-profile accused in the 2G scam should not be given bail as they may influence witnesses.
"These are not ordinary people, they are billionaires (with) all kinds of international connections. And consequently... witnesses could be affected by the atmosphere created by their going out and celebrations for them, holding rallies etc," Swamy told a TV news channel.
"Therefore, I think in that situation, it is a wiser thing to keep them in jail till at least the witness deposition is over," he added.
Swamy also said that even though the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) was not soft on the accused, the agency was under pressure when it came to acting against the politicians named in the case.
"They (CBI) are not going soft on all the accused in the case but but where politicians are involved, they seem to have lot of pressure. They probably would prefer the court to tell them what they want to do," he said.
Swamy has also sought a CBI probe into the role of Home Minister P. Chidambaram in the spectrum allocation during his tenure as the finance minister.
The bail pleas of DMK MP Kanimozhi and seven other accused in the 2G spectrum allotment scam were Thursday dismissed by a CBI special court that said all the applications were without merit. They will continue to be lodged in the Tihar Jail.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Indian Army avenges Uri with surgical strikes across LoC, heavy casualties
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says