Released by Sri Lanka, 19 fishermen arrive at Rameswaram
Rameswaram: As many as 19 fishermen from this island, who were arrested by the Sri Lankan Navy and lodged in prison in the neighbouring country, arrived here on Friday, officials said.
They were arrested by the Lankan Navy on March 13 on charges of violating the International Maritime Boundary line. A Lankan court had ordered their release yesterday.
The fishermen and their four boats were handed over to the Indian Coast Guard by Lankan Navy personnel at the IMBL this afternoon, sources said.
The coast guard team, led by Commander P Sathiyanaranan, repatriated them to India, they said.
Their family members and fishermen association presidents V Arulanandam and N Devadoss welcomed them when they arrived at the shore.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Parrikar hits out at Nawaz Sharif, says India doesn't need advice about troops in Siachen
- Neither Dadri nor Babri: India is 'Muslim woman delivering 'Ganesha' inside temple'
- Know why sex loses its steam in couples
- Smartphone may reveal your sexual preferences