Released by Sri Lanka, 19 fishermen arrive at Rameswaram
Rameswaram: As many as 19 fishermen from this island, who were arrested by the Sri Lankan Navy and lodged in prison in the neighbouring country, arrived here on Friday, officials said.
They were arrested by the Lankan Navy on March 13 on charges of violating the International Maritime Boundary line. A Lankan court had ordered their release yesterday.
The fishermen and their four boats were handed over to the Indian Coast Guard by Lankan Navy personnel at the IMBL this afternoon, sources said.
The coast guard team, led by Commander P Sathiyanaranan, repatriated them to India, they said.
Their family members and fishermen association presidents V Arulanandam and N Devadoss welcomed them when they arrived at the shore.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Iraqi army inches close to Baghdadi in Mosul- Report
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends