Released by Sri Lanka, 19 fishermen arrive at Rameswaram
Rameswaram (Tamil Nadu): As many as 19 fishermen from this island, who were arrested by the Sri Lankan Navy and lodged in prison in the neighbouring country, arrived here on Friday, officials said.
They were arrested by the Lankan Navy on March 13 on charges of violating the International Maritime Boundary line. A Lankan court had ordered their release on Thursday.
The fishermen and their four boats were handed over to the Indian Coast Guard by Lankan Navy personnel at the IMBL this afternoon, sources said.
The coast guard team, led by Commander P Sathiyanaranan, repatriated them to India, they said.
Their family members and fishermen association presidents V Arulanandam and N Devadoss welcomed them when they arrived at the shore.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- Rahul Gandhi takes U-turn, says never blamed RSS for Gandhi's assassination
- Secret documents on Indian Navy's Scorpene-class submarine leaked
- PM Modi's photos, Indian flags raised during massive protests in Balochistan
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy?
- Reasons why you're having chest pain!
- Madhya Pradesh assembly to consider GST Bill today
- Rohith Vemula suicide case: Hyderabad V-C can't be held responsible, concludes HRD probe panel
- Saradha scam: ED summons P Chidambaram's wife Nalini
- Half the town is gone, says Amatrice mayor as 6.2-magnitude earthquake strikes central Italy; toll rises to 14