Released by Sri Lanka, 19 fishermen arrive at Rameswaram
Rameswaram (Tamil Nadu): As many as 19 fishermen from this island, who were arrested by the Sri Lankan Navy and lodged in prison in the neighbouring country, arrived here on Friday, officials said.
They were arrested by the Lankan Navy on March 13 on charges of violating the International Maritime Boundary line. A Lankan court had ordered their release on Thursday.
The fishermen and their four boats were handed over to the Indian Coast Guard by Lankan Navy personnel at the IMBL this afternoon, sources said.
The coast guard team, led by Commander P Sathiyanaranan, repatriated them to India, they said.
Their family members and fishermen association presidents V Arulanandam and N Devadoss welcomed them when they arrived at the shore.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Nawaz Sharif's dream of making Kashmir a terror hell will never come true, says Sushma Swaraj
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop good communication skills for a successful life?
- Curfew lifted from 4 districts of Kashmir valley
- Recently launched Pokemon Go gaining extreme popularity among users
- Rajnath Singh meets J&K CM Mehbooba Mufti to discuss current situation in valley
- 1 die, 3 injured as fire breaks out in highrise
- Tour de France 2016: Chris Froome on brink of 3rd title as Ion Izaguirre wins penultimate stage
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar monitors search operations but no sign of missing IAF plane
- President Mukherjee, PM Modi condemns suicide attack in Kabul
- In-form Indian women hockey team beats Canada 3-1