Released by Sri Lanka, 19 fishermen arrive at Rameswaram
Rameswaram (Tamil Nadu): As many as 19 fishermen from this island, who were arrested by the Sri Lankan Navy and lodged in prison in the neighbouring country, arrived here on Friday, officials said.
They were arrested by the Lankan Navy on March 13 on charges of violating the International Maritime Boundary line. A Lankan court had ordered their release on Thursday.
The fishermen and their four boats were handed over to the Indian Coast Guard by Lankan Navy personnel at the IMBL this afternoon, sources said.
The coast guard team, led by Commander P Sathiyanaranan, repatriated them to India, they said.
Their family members and fishermen association presidents V Arulanandam and N Devadoss welcomed them when they arrived at the shore.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Journalist covering Vyapam scam dies in Madhya Pradesh
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- The inside story of IC-814 hijacking
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam
- Chile stun Argentina to win first Copa America crown