Relief for 17 Indians on death row in UAE
Dubai: In a major relief to 17 Indians
facing death row in the UAE for killing a Pakistani national
in Sharjah, the sole witness on Wednesday failed to identify any of
those convicted by a lower court here.
"Pakistani national Mushtaq Ahmad, who was summoned by
the court to identify the convicts, failed to identify any of
the Indian nationals," Bindu Suresh Chettur, the lawyer
handling the case on behalf of 17 Indians told PTI.
In March this year, the 17 were found guilty of
beating the Pakistani national to death and injuring three
others during a fight in January 2009 in Sharjah.
Chettur expressed satisfaction over today`s
development and said their defence is beginning to yield
"The doctor who had conducted the post-mortem on the
victim`s body also said he had consumed a lot of alcohol
(around 200 ml)," she added.
We also argued the fact that the convicts were never
presented before the judge and were only interrogated by the
police, she said, adding the court has now set October 13 for
the next hearing when more testimony will be heard.
"Biological experts and police officials have also
been asked to remain present during the next hearing," she
Other sources who were present during the proceedings
said that the defence has emerged stronger from today`s
proceedings as Mushtaq Ahmad is the only witness present in
"The other two witnesses are in Pakistan and couldn`t
appear today whereas the fourth is now dead," a source said at
the condition of anonymity.
"Even Mushtaq couldn`t identify anyone because it was
already dark and he said he couldn`t see anything. There were
30-40 people at the spot and he couldn`t single out any," he
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video