Relief for 17 Indians on death row in UAE
Dubai: In a major relief to 17 Indians
facing death row in the UAE for killing a Pakistani national
in Sharjah, the sole witness on Wednesday failed to identify any of
those convicted by a lower court here.
"Pakistani national Mushtaq Ahmad, who was summoned by
the court to identify the convicts, failed to identify any of
the Indian nationals," Bindu Suresh Chettur, the lawyer
handling the case on behalf of 17 Indians told PTI.
In March this year, the 17 were found guilty of
beating the Pakistani national to death and injuring three
others during a fight in January 2009 in Sharjah.
Chettur expressed satisfaction over today`s
development and said their defence is beginning to yield
"The doctor who had conducted the post-mortem on the
victim`s body also said he had consumed a lot of alcohol
(around 200 ml)," she added.
We also argued the fact that the convicts were never
presented before the judge and were only interrogated by the
police, she said, adding the court has now set October 13 for
the next hearing when more testimony will be heard.
"Biological experts and police officials have also
been asked to remain present during the next hearing," she
Other sources who were present during the proceedings
said that the defence has emerged stronger from today`s
proceedings as Mushtaq Ahmad is the only witness present in
"The other two witnesses are in Pakistan and couldn`t
appear today whereas the fourth is now dead," a source said at
the condition of anonymity.
"Even Mushtaq couldn`t identify anyone because it was
already dark and he said he couldn`t see anything. There were
30-40 people at the spot and he couldn`t single out any," he
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Ayodhya dispute: SC asks parties to solve matter amicably, offers mediation
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- This fiery speech by Yogi Adityanath in Parliament on communal riots is setting internet on fire - MUST WATCH
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Team Yogi Adityanath: List of Yogi's ministers with their portfolios - Check who got what
- MP student proposes Congress VP Rahul Gandhi's name to Guinness Book for losing maximum elections