Relief for Nirupam in defamation case filed by Sunil Dutt
Mumbai: The metropolitan magistrate`s
court today dismissed Congress MP Priya Dutt`s application
seeking to make her a party in place of her late father Sunil
Dutt in the defamation case against Sanjay Nirupam.
Nirupam, now a Congress MP from Mumbai North, has said
during the 2004 Lok Sabha campaign that Sunil Dutt, then a
Congress MP, attended Parliament only thrice in five years.
Dutt disputed this, saying that his attendance was
good, and Nirupam was lying. Dutt also filed a criminal
defamation case against Nirupam.
However, Dutt passed away while matter was pending,
and eventually Nirupam quit Shiv Sena to join Congress.
Dutt`s daughter Priya had then made it clear that she
would pursue the case.
However, Bandra magistrate`s court today dismissed her
plea seeking to fight the case in her father`s place.
"With this, Mr Nirupam has been discharged," said his
lawyer Anjani Kumar Singh.
Priya`s lawyers, however said that they would file
appeal against this order.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Reporting on war against ISIS in Mosul
- J&K: Suspected Pakistani spy arrested in Samba district
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Hema Malini did not accept land for dance academy: Government to HC
- Seven Pak rangers, one militant killed in retaliatory firing by BSF on Jammu border
- 'Ae Dil Hai Mushkil' row: Raj Thackeray says Rs 5 crore 'penance' for signing Pakistani artistes