Relief for Nirupam in defamation case filed by Sunil Dutt
Mumbai: The metropolitan magistrate`s
court today dismissed Congress MP Priya Dutt`s application
seeking to make her a party in place of her late father Sunil
Dutt in the defamation case against Sanjay Nirupam.
Nirupam, now a Congress MP from Mumbai North, has said
during the 2004 Lok Sabha campaign that Sunil Dutt, then a
Congress MP, attended Parliament only thrice in five years.
Dutt disputed this, saying that his attendance was
good, and Nirupam was lying. Dutt also filed a criminal
defamation case against Nirupam.
However, Dutt passed away while matter was pending,
and eventually Nirupam quit Shiv Sena to join Congress.
Dutt`s daughter Priya had then made it clear that she
would pursue the case.
However, Bandra magistrate`s court today dismissed her
plea seeking to fight the case in her father`s place.
"With this, Mr Nirupam has been discharged," said his
lawyer Anjani Kumar Singh.
Priya`s lawyers, however said that they would file
appeal against this order.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row
- JNU students call terrorist Afzal Guru a martyr amid anti-nationalist slogans
- DNA: Siachen survivor Hanumanthappa fights for life as India prays for him
- DNA: JNU students clash over Afzal Guru row
- DNA: Know about world's highest battlefield Siachen
- Drunk girl creates ruckus in Delhi's Connaught Place; arrested - Watch
- JNU erupts over 'Shaheed Afzal Guru', 'Azad Kashmir'; rival student groups clash, police deployed
- AAP poster showing Arvind Kejriwal with Bhindranwale sparks row in Punjab
- Video of Hanumanthappa's rescue that went viral on social media is fake - Watch
- Paid sex: Good or bad? This girl was too eager to find out - Watch what happened!