Relief for Nirupam in defamation case filed by Sunil Dutt
Mumbai: The metropolitan magistrate`s
court today dismissed Congress MP Priya Dutt`s application
seeking to make her a party in place of her late father Sunil
Dutt in the defamation case against Sanjay Nirupam.
Nirupam, now a Congress MP from Mumbai North, has said
during the 2004 Lok Sabha campaign that Sunil Dutt, then a
Congress MP, attended Parliament only thrice in five years.
Dutt disputed this, saying that his attendance was
good, and Nirupam was lying. Dutt also filed a criminal
defamation case against Nirupam.
However, Dutt passed away while matter was pending,
and eventually Nirupam quit Shiv Sena to join Congress.
Dutt`s daughter Priya had then made it clear that she
would pursue the case.
However, Bandra magistrate`s court today dismissed her
plea seeking to fight the case in her father`s place.
"With this, Mr Nirupam has been discharged," said his
lawyer Anjani Kumar Singh.
Priya`s lawyers, however said that they would file
appeal against this order.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- I-T department rejects declaration of Rs 2,00,000 crore made under IDS by Mumbai family