Relief for Nirupam in defamation case filed by Sunil Dutt
Mumbai: The metropolitan magistrate`s
court today dismissed Congress MP Priya Dutt`s application
seeking to make her a party in place of her late father Sunil
Dutt in the defamation case against Sanjay Nirupam.
Nirupam, now a Congress MP from Mumbai North, has said
during the 2004 Lok Sabha campaign that Sunil Dutt, then a
Congress MP, attended Parliament only thrice in five years.
Dutt disputed this, saying that his attendance was
good, and Nirupam was lying. Dutt also filed a criminal
defamation case against Nirupam.
However, Dutt passed away while matter was pending,
and eventually Nirupam quit Shiv Sena to join Congress.
Dutt`s daughter Priya had then made it clear that she
would pursue the case.
However, Bandra magistrate`s court today dismissed her
plea seeking to fight the case in her father`s place.
"With this, Mr Nirupam has been discharged," said his
lawyer Anjani Kumar Singh.
Priya`s lawyers, however said that they would file
appeal against this order.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Air India lodges FIR against Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad for assaulting staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- DNA: Heroes of surgical strike receives gallantry award
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM
- Should there be strict laws against cow slaughter? Uttar Pradesh CM Yogi Adityanath seeks public opinion