Relieved Cong hopes Mamata will support Ansari too
New Delhi: Strains in Congress-Trinamool ties seem to be disappearing with Mamata Banerjee today announcing her party`s support to UPA Presidential nominee Pranab Mukherje and the AICC now hopes that the TMC would also back Hamid Ansari in the Vice Presidential race.
"We welcome the support declared by Mamata Banerjee to Pranab Mukherjee`s candidature. We thank her for her Trinamool Congress` support in the Presidential poll. Congress has always maintained that Mamata is a valuable ally.
"We hope and trust that the UPA will continue to get her support and cooperation in future also including for the Vice Presidential election," AICC general secretary Janardan Dwivedi told reporters here.
AICC`s in-charge for West Bengal Shakeel Ahmed said that he is hopeful that Banerjee will also support the UPA in the Vice Presidential election.
"We were saying from the beginning that she will support us in the Presidential poll. This is a good development. Had we voted separately in this poll, it would not have sent a good signal and unnecessarily put strains in our ties, which will not happen now," Ahmed said.
A beaming West Bengal PCC chief Pradip Bhattacharya hailed the development as one that would herald a "new chapter" in the Congress-TMC ties.
Asked if the ties will substantially improve now, he said he hoped so but at the same time quipped "you clap with both hands".
Ahmed utilised the occassion to advise restraint on the part of both parties during phases of provocation.
"If there is any problem or hitch, we should solve it through discussions. Since we are in alliance, neither of the parties should take an issue to a point of no return," he said pointing out that Mukhkerjee never used any harsh word against the Trinamool Congress chief and even addressed her as his sister while making the appeal to vote for him.
Party spokesperson Manish Tewari said the TMC`s support will further strengthen his election campaign and he will emerge victories with far greater majority.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand