Relieved Cong hopes Mamata will support Ansari too
New Delhi: Strains in Congress-Trinamool ties seem to be disappearing with Mamata Banerjee today announcing her party`s support to UPA Presidential nominee Pranab Mukherje and the AICC now hopes that the TMC would also back Hamid Ansari in the Vice Presidential race.
"We welcome the support declared by Mamata Banerjee to Pranab Mukherjee`s candidature. We thank her for her Trinamool Congress` support in the Presidential poll. Congress has always maintained that Mamata is a valuable ally.
"We hope and trust that the UPA will continue to get her support and cooperation in future also including for the Vice Presidential election," AICC general secretary Janardan Dwivedi told reporters here.
AICC`s in-charge for West Bengal Shakeel Ahmed said that he is hopeful that Banerjee will also support the UPA in the Vice Presidential election.
"We were saying from the beginning that she will support us in the Presidential poll. This is a good development. Had we voted separately in this poll, it would not have sent a good signal and unnecessarily put strains in our ties, which will not happen now," Ahmed said.
A beaming West Bengal PCC chief Pradip Bhattacharya hailed the development as one that would herald a "new chapter" in the Congress-TMC ties.
Asked if the ties will substantially improve now, he said he hoped so but at the same time quipped "you clap with both hands".
Ahmed utilised the occassion to advise restraint on the part of both parties during phases of provocation.
"If there is any problem or hitch, we should solve it through discussions. Since we are in alliance, neither of the parties should take an issue to a point of no return," he said pointing out that Mukhkerjee never used any harsh word against the Trinamool Congress chief and even addressed her as his sister while making the appeal to vote for him.
Party spokesperson Manish Tewari said the TMC`s support will further strengthen his election campaign and he will emerge victories with far greater majority.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details