Religious minority leaders urge PM for equal rights for Dalits
New Delhi: A delegation of religious minority leaders today met Prime Minister Manmohan Singh at Parliament House, demanding reservation for Christian and Muslim Dalits.
MPs, including Minister of State for Finance J D Seelam (Congress), D Raja (CPI), and Vasanthi Stanley (DMK) accompanied the delegation.
Talking to reporters after the meeting, Archbishop Anil Couto of Delhi said they placed before the Prime Minister their request for justice to Christians and Muslims of Dalit origin.
The minority groups have been demanding that the government strike down the Presidential (SC) order of 1950 which denies equal rights to Christians and Muslims of Dalit origin.
"The Prime Minister listened to us with all frankness and complete concern for the issue...He has promised to place the issue before the Cabinet and do whatever he can in his power to see that the issue is resolved," Couto said.
The Archbishop said the delegation also complained to the Prime Minister about the detention of several Christians and Muslims who staged a "peaceful" march to Parliament House yesterday demanding reservation for their brethren from Dalit groups.
"He (the Prime Minister) asked pardon for what happened yesterday," Couto said.
CPI leader Raja said the issue now is before the Prime Minister and the government.
"He (Singh) said he would take up the matter in the Cabinet...We hope the Prime Minister with all sincerity will take up the issue and help Dalit Christians and Dalit Muslims to have Constitutional protection," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Watch: Sushma Swaraj addresses the UN General Assembly
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price