Religious structures on govt land; SC asks states, UTs to reply
New Delhi: The Supreme Court on Friday asked all states and Union Territories to give within six weeks details about the number of religious structures on encroached government land that have been razed or relocated by them and those that are still standing.
The court also asked them to issue notifications for putting in place "policy/rules" for removal or relocation of illegal religious structures built on public land and sought action against officials who allow such constructions in future.
"Each state should give details as to how many illegal religious structures have been removed as on June 30, 2013 and how many are left. They should also state the steps taken for removing or relocating them. The affidavit shall be filed within six weeks from today," a bench of justices RM Lodha and SJ Mukhopadhaya said.
The bench also asked the states to give a copy of their affidavit to the Centre for preparation of a consolidated national data as to how many illegal structures have been demolished or relocated and how many of them are still existing.
During the hearing, the court, which posted the matter on August 30, said the officials who will now allow such structures to come up in their areas should be punished.
Earlier this year, the bench had asked all the state governments to remove unauthorised constructions including places of worships from roads and public places.
It had also restrained the states from granting permission for erecting statues or construction of any structure at public places which obstructs traffic movement, saying that citizens have the right to move freely and it cannot be taken away.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- MPs spend more than Rs 25 cr taxpayers' money on study tours: DNA reports
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Chile stun Argentina to win first Copa America crown