`Reluctant Modi should not be forced to apologise for riots`
New Delhi: An apology for the post-2002 Godhra riots must come from "within" Narendra Modi as one which is forced is worthless, Congress leader Sachin Pilot said on Tuesday dismissing BJP Chief Rajnath Singh`s remarks that the Gujarat Chief Minister was sullen over the riots.
The Union Minister, who is a key member in Congress vice-president Rahul Gandhi`s team, also felt that Modi`s projection by the BJP as prime ministerial candidate could be favourable for the Congress than his own party, reminding that Congress` tally had increased by 50 seats, when L K Advani was named the Opposition Party`s PM candidate in 2009.
"If anybody ever forces some body to do something especially an apology, that apology is worth nothing. It must come from within, if someone has to do it. I recall Prime Minister Manmohan Singh making a comment on the floor of the House (about anti-Sikh riots).
"Nobody put a gun to his head. It is something that came from within him. He said which he had to say in full public view as the Prime Minister of India. But if someone, who is nowhere close to that position, he is so reluctant and feels so unapologetic about something, then why must anybody force him to apologise," Pilot said.
He was replying to a question as to whether Congress would ask Modi to render an apology for Gujarat riots and asked to comment on BJP President Rajnath Singh`s recent remarks that Modi was sullen over the violence.
Pilot said that he does not think it is a matter of apology but rather a matter of what one believes in.
"It is a matter of what you believe in. You can orchestrate and pretend it for 24 hours in day but not for all of the time. So the reality will shine somewhere. But what my core belief is what I am. I can say all the good things, you will ultimately see what real person I am.
"So all these TRP ratings in half an hour TV shots, short interviews is OK but the reality will come out and I think people will judge," the minister said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Zaira Wasim Trolled: Ashamed that she had to apologise, says Gautam Gambhir
- WATCH: Dope-tainted Brock Lesnar causes carnage on return to WWE Raw ahead of Royal Rumble