Remarks on Firozabad: Mualayam, Amar show unity
New Delhi: After his remarks against party
chief Mulayam Singh Yadav for Firozabad Lok Sabha bypoll loss
signalled a split, Samajwadi Party leader Amar Singh and and
Yadav today projected a show of unity.
"There is no difference with anybody in the party. And
we are all together against the Congress," said Amar Singh
with Mulayam Singh Yadav by his side.
In sharp contrast to what he said yesterday during a
TV interview when he had blamed the Firozabad Lok Sabha
byelection loss to the overconfidence of Yadav, Singh today
took the responsibility for the defeat.
"I take the responsibility of the defeat on myself,"
said Amar, adding he has not uttered any word which is
against his party.
Amar, Mulayam and party general secretary Ram Gopal
Yadav and Rajya Sabha MP Jaya Bachchan were closeted in a
three-hour meeting in the party`s office in Parliament late in
the evening to discuss Amar`s statement.
"Sometime truth is bitter and when I was asked some
bitter questions, there were no sweet answers to them but
bitter answers," he told reporters after the meeting.
Mulayam, for his part, said "there was overconfidence
in us which probably led to our defeat in Firozabad".
Ram Gopal said he had not uttered anything against
Amar. Earlier in the day, he had said that Amar Singh should
speak within a limit.
Amar said he has a relationship of "submission"
(samarpan) with Mulayam Singh Yadav.
"I have not uttered any word which is against my party",
Amar said adding "the party is like mother and whoever betrays
the party, has no respect left".
"I have also said that it is not the defeat (in
Firozabad) of my leader but it is a defeat of the party... It
is not a personal defeat. When the party faces a phase of
struggle, I cannot leave my party then," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai