Remote locations top choice of Indian adventure tourists: Study
New Delhi: Retreating to a remote location, natural environment or wilderness or exploring an upcoming tourism destination with limited infrastructure are the preferred choices of Indian adventure travellers.
Sports or physical activity-based holiday was the third preference, a recent survey on evolving trends and preferences of the Indian traveller has found.
Most popular adventure activities among Indians ranged from camping and para-gliding to bungee jumping, sky diving and scuba diving, the Adventure Travel Survey conducted by travel portal TripAdvisor said.
Asked about what kind of holiday experiences they considered as adventure travel, about 77 per cent respondents said a retreat to a natural environment or remote location or wilderness qualified as adventure travel for them.
About 44 per cent believed that exploring an upcoming tourist destination with limited infrastructure would be an adventurous holiday while 36 per cent said a sports or physical activity-based holiday was adventure for them, the study said.
Asked about the primary reasons for love about adventure activities, a majority of the respondents -- about 58 per cent -- said it was their love for varied life experiences.
About 35 per cent agreed it was a sense of achievement or accomplishment and same percentage of Indians cited thrill, excitement and a sense of risk as the reason that drew them to adventurous activities.
About 47 per cent said they pre-planned their adventure activities, while 37 per cent agreed that such activities are spontaneous decisions when they are on holidays.
Interestingly, friends emerged as the `first and foremost choice` as companion for adventure travel, with 72 per cent respondents choosing them over their spouses, who were the next preference with 47 per cent respondents wanting to pursue adventure activities with their better halves.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Rahul Gandhi's and Congress' Twitter accounts hacked: Who's behind it?
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch - Parrikar's reply to Mamata's military coup claim
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 4.7 crore cash in Rs 2000 notes! Biggest seizure in new currency post demonetisation - What I-T recovered from Bengaluru, Chennai and Erode
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'