Remote locations top choice of Indian adventure tourists: Study
New Delhi: Retreating to a remote location, natural environment or wilderness or exploring an upcoming tourism destination with limited infrastructure are the preferred choices of Indian adventure travellers.
Sports or physical activity-based holiday was the third preference, a recent survey on evolving trends and preferences of the Indian traveller has found.
Most popular adventure activities among Indians ranged from camping and para-gliding to bungee jumping, sky diving and scuba diving, the Adventure Travel Survey conducted by travel portal TripAdvisor said.
Asked about what kind of holiday experiences they considered as adventure travel, about 77 per cent respondents said a retreat to a natural environment or remote location or wilderness qualified as adventure travel for them.
About 44 per cent believed that exploring an upcoming tourist destination with limited infrastructure would be an adventurous holiday while 36 per cent said a sports or physical activity-based holiday was adventure for them, the study said.
Asked about the primary reasons for love about adventure activities, a majority of the respondents -- about 58 per cent -- said it was their love for varied life experiences.
About 35 per cent agreed it was a sense of achievement or accomplishment and same percentage of Indians cited thrill, excitement and a sense of risk as the reason that drew them to adventurous activities.
About 47 per cent said they pre-planned their adventure activities, while 37 per cent agreed that such activities are spontaneous decisions when they are on holidays.
Interestingly, friends emerged as the `first and foremost choice` as companion for adventure travel, with 72 per cent respondents choosing them over their spouses, who were the next preference with 47 per cent respondents wanting to pursue adventure activities with their better halves.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Aamir Khan's 'intolerance' comment kicks up row
- Exclusive: Sudhir Chaudhary in conversation with Aamir Khan on intolerance in India!
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's remark on 'intolerance'
- Rahul Gandhi spotted with hate speech convict Imran Masood in Saharanpur
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India