Repatriate Sanaullah & other foreigner prisoners; plea in SC
New Delhi: A petition was on Tuesday filed in the Supreme Court seeking direction to the Centre to "repatriate" foreign and Pakistani prisoners, including Sanaullah Ranjay who was injured in a scuffle with another inmate in a Jammu jail, and those already having spent over 15 years in detention here.
The petition also sought repatriation of all the mentally challenged prisoners, who are not wanted in any case in India but are lodged in different jails here, to their respective countries without any delay.
Seeking direction to repatriate Sanaullah to Sialkot in Pakistan, the petition filed by Jammu and Kashmir Panthers Party Chief Bhim Singh, said as per an counter affidavit filed by the Centre in August last year, he had completed the sentence awarded to him by different courts in India in most of the cases and his repatriation would be in the "interest of universal justice and equity."
"It is submitted that he (Sanaullah) has completed more than 18 years in jail with a disciplined life. He has been musical band master at home and also inside the jail...The entire history of the trials would establish that he has completed life imprisonment also," the petition said.
Sanaullah, 52, was injured in a scuffle with another inmate in the high-security Kot Balwal jail in Jammu and was rushed to a Chandigarh hospital in an air ambulance.
The assault had came a day after the death of Indian prisoner Sarabjit Singh who was brutally attacked by fellow inmates in Lahore`s Kot Lakhpat jail.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city
- Army orders modern helmets for jawans, can withstand bullets fired from short range