Repatriate Sanaullah & other foreigner prisoners; plea in SC
New Delhi: A petition was on Tuesday filed in the Supreme Court seeking direction to the Centre to "repatriate" foreign and Pakistani prisoners, including Sanaullah Ranjay who was injured in a scuffle with another inmate in a Jammu jail, and those already having spent over 15 years in detention here.
The petition also sought repatriation of all the mentally challenged prisoners, who are not wanted in any case in India but are lodged in different jails here, to their respective countries without any delay.
Seeking direction to repatriate Sanaullah to Sialkot in Pakistan, the petition filed by Jammu and Kashmir Panthers Party Chief Bhim Singh, said as per an counter affidavit filed by the Centre in August last year, he had completed the sentence awarded to him by different courts in India in most of the cases and his repatriation would be in the "interest of universal justice and equity."
"It is submitted that he (Sanaullah) has completed more than 18 years in jail with a disciplined life. He has been musical band master at home and also inside the jail...The entire history of the trials would establish that he has completed life imprisonment also," the petition said.
Sanaullah, 52, was injured in a scuffle with another inmate in the high-security Kot Balwal jail in Jammu and was rushed to a Chandigarh hospital in an air ambulance.
The assault had came a day after the death of Indian prisoner Sarabjit Singh who was brutally attacked by fellow inmates in Lahore`s Kot Lakhpat jail.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- DNA: Gravitational waves detected, proving Einstein right!
- Watch: Panel discussion on students turning traitors at JNU - Part IV
- Ex-Army officers threaten to return JNU degrees against 'anti-national' activities in campus
- Delhi Police issues alert over alleged Hafiz Saeed's tweet backing 'pro-Pak' JNU protesters
- Really? Is this why Deepika Padukone not open about her alleged relationship with Ranveer Singh?
- Congress leader from Gujarat conspired to implicate Narendra Modi in Ishrat Jahan case: Ex-IB officer
- LeT chief Lakhvi`s son was gunned down by Indian troops in Kashmir: David Headley