Repeated adjournments in LS over quota in promotions
New Delhi: Lok Sabha on Monday witnessed repeated disruptions as Samajwadi Party members vociferously raised the issue of reservation in promotions in state jobs.
Soon after the House met for the day, SP members were on their feet demanding that they be allowed to speak on the issue of quota in promotions, an issue which they contended has led to consternation among government employees.
SP members, led by Shailedra Kumar, trooped into the Well saying a large number of government employees were on strike following anxiety over the bill providing for quotas to SC/ST in promotions in government jobs.
Yogi Adityanath (BJP) was heard saying that a large number of government employees were facing anxious moments ever since the bill for quota in promotion was taken up by Parliament.
AIADMK members were seen raising some issues and were in the aisle, but their voice could not be heard in the din.
Parliamentary Affairs Minister Kamal Nath tried to calm nerves. "The Rajya Sabha is debating this matter. If and when this Bill will be passed by the Rajya Sabha, it will come to this House," he said.
However, as members were unrelenting Speaker Meira Kumar first adjourned the House till 11:30 am and later till noon.
Similar scenes were witnessed when the House re-assembled at noon and Francisco Sardihna, who was in the Chair, adjourned the proceedings till 2 pm after laying of papers.
Samajwadi Party has been opposing stridently government`s move to introduce quota in promotion in government jobs.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Arvind Kejriwal takes U-turn on water promise, says BJP
- PM Modi breaks silence on Dadri lynching incident
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Rahul Gandhi takes potshot at PM Narendra Modi's fashion sense - Watch
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!