Repeated adjournments in LS over quota in promotions
New Delhi: Lok Sabha on Monday witnessed repeated disruptions as Samajwadi Party members vociferously raised the issue of reservation in promotions in state jobs.
Soon after the House met for the day, SP members were on their feet demanding that they be allowed to speak on the issue of quota in promotions, an issue which they contended has led to consternation among government employees.
SP members, led by Shailedra Kumar, trooped into the Well saying a large number of government employees were on strike following anxiety over the bill providing for quotas to SC/ST in promotions in government jobs.
Yogi Adityanath (BJP) was heard saying that a large number of government employees were facing anxious moments ever since the bill for quota in promotion was taken up by Parliament.
AIADMK members were seen raising some issues and were in the aisle, but their voice could not be heard in the din.
Parliamentary Affairs Minister Kamal Nath tried to calm nerves. "The Rajya Sabha is debating this matter. If and when this Bill will be passed by the Rajya Sabha, it will come to this House," he said.
However, as members were unrelenting Speaker Meira Kumar first adjourned the House till 11:30 am and later till noon.
Similar scenes were witnessed when the House re-assembled at noon and Francisco Sardihna, who was in the Chair, adjourned the proceedings till 2 pm after laying of papers.
Samajwadi Party has been opposing stridently government`s move to introduce quota in promotion in government jobs.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Maharajganj
- Are educational institutions becoming a tool to showcase anti-national agendas?
- 15-year old girl stabbed to death in Mumbai
- DU Student Clash : Confrontation among students becomes sensitive, AISA to carry flag march today
- DNA: Post demonetisation, India records 7% GDP growth rate in Q3
- Gurmehar Kaur row: Girl who got 'Shiva stole' gift from PM Narendra Modi says she got rape threat from Congress politician
- Muslims should be cremated, there's no space to bury 20 cr people: BJP MP Sakshi Maharaj
- Yogeshwar Dutt takes a dig at Javed Akhtar after being called 'a hardly literate wrestler'
- No AC, mattress for Sasikala in prison, confirms DIG; may not be shifted to Chennai jail
- Gurmehar-ABVP ruckus: Virender Sehwag represents BCCI not India, says Umar Khalid