Replies to questions not to the point, says Oppn
New Delhi: Noisy scenes were witnessed in the Rajya Sabha on Friday with members from opposition parties protesting that replies to their questions were not to the point.
"On many occasions we see that written replies given by ministers are not in tune with the question asked," Rajiv Pratap Rudy (BJP) complained during Question Hour.
Rudy said his question related to guarding of unmanned railway crossings, but the written reply did not match the poser.
To this, Chairman Hamid Ansari said, "The Chair has noted
Minister of State for Railways E Ahammed said the member has the right to ask questions and challenge him.
However, members belonging to BJP, SP and BSP expressed strong displeasure over the minister`s response leading to noisy scenes.
Ahammed said there was a proposal to man 4,000 unmanned crossings by 2010-11.
Earlier, as soon as the House met for the day, Ansari said, "It has been noted that members while asking supplementaries, tend to make statements instead of directly asking questions and deviate from the original question. They should stick to the (main) question."
To this, Naresh Agarwal (BSP) said it would limit the rights of the members.
"Be liberal with us. Instead you should be tough with the ministers," Agarwal said.
Senior Congress member Karan Singh said sometimes new facts came to light from the ministers` replies. Therefore, if members were asked to stick to their main question, then it could cut out valuable information, he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- DNA: Analyzing the harmful effects of selfies
- UP elections: Rajnath Singh's Son, Rita Bahuguna Joshi in BJP second list of candidates
- LIVE: Jallikattu Bill passed in Tamil Nadu Assembly; didn't use force on crowd, says Chennai Police Commissioner
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Karnataka: Baby with four legs, two male sex organs born in Raichur