‘Report on defence land encroachments by March’
Hyderabad: Union Minister of State for
Defence MM Pallam Raju on Monday said he was expecting a survey
report on encroachments done on the defence lands in eight
sectors across the country by the end of March next year.
The Ministry of Defence had ordered the survey
following largescale encroachments on 17.56 lakh acres of land
owned by it. To its shock, the ministry had identified more
than 12,000 acres of land that was encroached illegally.
"The total defence land holding in the country is
17.56 lakh acres, out of which 1.6 lakh acres is in 62
cantonments. Now, the amount of encroached land is little over
12,000 acres, which has happened historically.... They took up
for survey in about eight circles. The survey report should be
(out) by the end of this financial year," Raju said at a press
He said the ministry was taking all steps to conserve
its valuable land by computerising all the land records.
Defence Minister AK Antony held two meetings in this
regard and ordered a resurvey to be done for all defence
lands, Raju added.
Replying to a query that if the private sector in the
country is hesitant to venture into the defence sector because
of staggering costs, longer project time and complex
technologies, Raju replied in affirmative.
"Quality norms are stringent and volumes are low and
inconsistent. Unfortunately, many of these factors are true.
To be successful, we need excellent talent pool, including
engineers, good infrastructure, high quality standards and the
ability to deliver goods that suit various climatic conditions
and widely difficult locations," he said.
The minister was chief guest in a function in which
Avantel, a city-based firm, handed over 12 units of mobile
satellite service (MSS)-based communication systems to Boeing.
The US aircraft maker will use these systems in its
P-8i reconnaissance aircraft to be supplied to the Indian
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference