Report on interference from political establishment speculative: CBI
New Delhi: CBI on Saturday termed as "speculative" reports about alleged political interference in the agency`s probe into the coal blocks allocation scam.
The government came under fire from opposition parties in the wake of reports that Union Law Minister Ashwani Kumar had summoned CBI Chief and the agency`s status report on the probe in coal scam was changed after the meeting.
"The reports are speculative. We are yet to file an affidavit before the Supreme Court," CBI Director Ranjit Sinha said today when asked about his reaction.
Asked about the alleged meetings with the Law Minister and PMO officials, he said "we cannot comment on it and would disclose everything before the Supreme Court only."
CBI had filed a status report on its probe in alleged irregularities in allocation of coal mines before the Supreme Court on March 8 where it had claimed coal block allocation during 2006-09 was done without verifying the credentials of companies which allegedly misrepresented facts about themselves.
During the hearing, the court had also asked the CBI Director to file an affidavit that the status report submitted by the agency was "vetted by him and not shared with political executives" and the same will be followed in future.
It has been alleged in a newspaper report that the status report was "toned down" after a separate meeting of CBI Director Ranjit Sinha with Ashwani Kumar and PMO officials.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof