Report says 23 percent of Indian elders face abuse
New Delhi: Around 23 percent or more than one-fifth of India`s elderly are known to have experienced abuse in the form of disrespect, verbal abuse, neglect while some have even faced assault, according to the “Elder Abuse in India 2013” report.
The report by Help Age India was released on the eve of “World Elder Abuse Awareness Day” which would be celebrated worldwide Saturday. To commemorate the day, the elderly of Delhi have organised a candle light vigil at Jantar Mantar at 6:30 pm.
"We have been doing this survey for the past four years and the data that has been collected is from the metropolitan cities and 25 tier II cities as well,” said Manjira Khurana, advocacy and communications head at Help Age India.
The city of Madurai in Tamil Nadu, and Kanpur in Uttar Pradesh recorded the highest level of abuse against elders and the main perpetrators of the abuse were daughters. Among the metropolitan cities, Hyderabad recorded the highest form of such abuse with daughters-in-law being the main perpetrators.
"The report has been very disturbing but we, as elderly, also have to try and create an intergenerational friendship with the youngsters as we are people of two different generations. It is also important to make the citizens aware of the Maintenance and Welfare of Parents and Senior Citizens Act," said Justice (retd) Leila Seth at the event.
The social and financial security of the senior citizens in India is governed by the 2007 act. Himachal Pradesh is the first state to have implemented the act.
Rajeev Mehrotra, managing director, RITES India, said: "Existing social security measures are not enough to ensure decent medical care, work engagement and economic activity generating adequate income enabling old persons to lead a life with dignity and some degree of independence, hence much more needs to be done at the governmental level."
To raise awareness on the abuse against elders, Help Age India has launched its Help Unite generations (HUG) campaign with the aim to sensitise young children and adults on elder issues and needs.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon