Reported remarks of Gotabaya not acceptable: Narayanasamy
Chennai: India on Friday disapproved of a top Sri Lankan official`s reported remark about it regarding terrorism in that country, saying the armed conflict there was a result of Colombo denying rights to Tamils there.
Responding to Sri Lankan Defence Secretary Gotabaya Rajapaksa`s reported remark that India could never absolve itself of the responsibility for creating terrorism in his country, Union Minister V Narayanasamy said the statement was not acceptable.
"As far as India is concerned (late Prime Ministers) Indira and Rajiv Gandhi supported Tamils. We even lost Rajiv Gandhi (in an assassination by LTTE). He sent Indian Peace Keeping Force to help Tamils. Rajapaksa`s statement is unacceptable. Sri Lanka is responsible for terrorism as Tamils took to terrorism because their rights were denied," he told reporters at the airport here.
New Delhi did not support any kind of terrorist activities, he said.
India has a duty to protect Tamils wherever they are and it had pressed for independent and credible investigation into alleged war crimes by Sri Lankan army at the UNHRC, he said.
"Unfortunately, state political parties are concealing that. The truth will come out ultimately," the Minister of State in the PMO added.
He also denied the Centre was not acting on attacks on fishermen from Tamil Nadu by Sri Lankan Navy.
Indian consular officials were immediately asked to work for the release of fishermen arrested by that Navy, he said, adding that talks between fishermen of the two countries could ensure a lasting solution to the matter.
The minister also called for more patrolling of Indian Coast Guard and Naval ships in the area to prevent attacks on local fishermen.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- Amit Shah addresses BJP's mega convention in Delhi
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?