Reprieve for Vijayan in SNC Lavalin case
Kochi: The CBI on Saturday told a special court
that it might be "improper" to conduct further probe against
CPI(M) state secretary and former minister Pinarayi Vijayan in
a graft case.
Vijayan is listed as the seventh accused in the case
relating to award of contracts to renovate three hydel
projects to Canadian firm SNC-Lavalin in 1998 when he was the
The investigating agency had filed a chargesheet against
Vijayan in the case.
The CPI(M) leader had filed a petition before the Supreme
Court challenging even the authority and competence of the
Kerala Governor in granting sanction under Section 197 CrPC to
prosecute him and it was pending before the Apex Court, the
"It is therefore submitted that it may also be improper
on the part of the prosecution to conduct further
investigation against Vijayan at this stage which may cause an
apprehension regarding the impartial and unbiased
investigation carried out in this case by CBI," the probe
agency said in a counter affidavit filed on a petition by
`Crime` Editor T P Nandakumar.
The allegations pertain to "showing undue favour" to
Lavalin in the awarding of renovation and modernisation
contracts of Pallivasal, Sengulum and Panniar hydel projects.
On further investigation against former Congress leader
and UDF minister G Karthikeyan, CBI said it was in the final
stages and the report would be submitted to the court.
The petitioner`s contention that vital aspects in the
case were omitted during investigation by CBI was far from
truth, the agency said.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Coimbatore: PM Narendra Modi unveils 112-foot tall bust of Lord Shiva
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's remark on terrorists
- DNA: Why depression cases are increasing rapidly in India?
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- Pune Test: Virender Sehwag could have saved India from embarrassment, says former Aussie stars
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...