Reservation: Dalits stage demonstration in capital
New Delhi: Dalit activists on Monday staged a demonstration here demanding reservation for the community in promotions and threatened to launch a massive protest if their demands are not met.
The protest was organised by All India Confederation of SC/ST Organisations at Jantar Mantar.
A R Joshi, chief patron of the Confederation, said they were sending a memorandum to President Pratibha Patil and Prime Minister Manmohan Singh.
"If we do not get positive response from them, then we`ll intensify our struggle," he said.
Acting Chairman of the Confederation and representative of the All India SC/ST Railway Employees Association, Ashok Kumar said they demand reservation not only in promotions but elsewhere also where none exist.
The protesters also demanded that the reservation be provided in private sector, higher education and judiciary.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Failed to secure confirmed reservation in train? Now you can travel in pantry car!
- Vladimir Putin rages as Turkey shoots down Russian plane