Reservation: Dalits stage demonstration in capital
New Delhi: Dalit activists on Monday staged a demonstration here demanding reservation for the community in promotions and threatened to launch a massive protest if their demands are not met.
The protest was organised by All India Confederation of SC/ST Organisations at Jantar Mantar.
A R Joshi, chief patron of the Confederation, said they were sending a memorandum to President Pratibha Patil and Prime Minister Manmohan Singh.
"If we do not get positive response from them, then we`ll intensify our struggle," he said.
Acting Chairman of the Confederation and representative of the All India SC/ST Railway Employees Association, Ashok Kumar said they demand reservation not only in promotions but elsewhere also where none exist.
The protesters also demanded that the reservation be provided in private sector, higher education and judiciary.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Nitish suspends Cabinet Minister Kushwaha over alleged sting operation
- Watch: PM Modi delivers speech at Mumbai Metro Phase-II inauguration
- Shiv Sena spills ink on ORF chairperson Sudheendra Kulkarni's face
- Panel discussion on the controversial sacking of Asim Ahmed Khan from AAP
- Haryana minister Krishan Bedi mocks Modi's 'Swachh Bharat Abhiyan'
- ISL 2015: Atletico de Kolkata vs Kerala Blasters - Preview
- Watch: How smartly this woman steals smartphone, walks away with it
- India vs South Africa: MS Dhoni disappointed about 'gamble' not paying off
- Aarushi Talwar's grandfather breaks silence, writes open letter – Read
- Invoking Ambedkar's legacy, PM Modi says no rethink on quotas as Sena boycotts his events in Mumbai