Reservation: Dalits stage demonstration in capital
New Delhi: Dalit activists on Monday staged a demonstration here demanding reservation for the community in promotions and threatened to launch a massive protest if their demands are not met.
The protest was organised by All India Confederation of SC/ST Organisations at Jantar Mantar.
A R Joshi, chief patron of the Confederation, said they were sending a memorandum to President Pratibha Patil and Prime Minister Manmohan Singh.
"If we do not get positive response from them, then we`ll intensify our struggle," he said.
Acting Chairman of the Confederation and representative of the All India SC/ST Railway Employees Association, Ashok Kumar said they demand reservation not only in promotions but elsewhere also where none exist.
The protesters also demanded that the reservation be provided in private sector, higher education and judiciary.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- Here's why Donald Trump called PM Narendra Modi
- Gautam Gambhir gives Aussies perfect send-off, says true champions let their game do all the talking!