Reservation: Dalits stage demonstration in capital
New Delhi: Dalit activists on Monday staged a demonstration here demanding reservation for the community in promotions and threatened to launch a massive protest if their demands are not met.
The protest was organised by All India Confederation of SC/ST Organisations at Jantar Mantar.
A R Joshi, chief patron of the Confederation, said they were sending a memorandum to President Pratibha Patil and Prime Minister Manmohan Singh.
"If we do not get positive response from them, then we`ll intensify our struggle," he said.
Acting Chairman of the Confederation and representative of the All India SC/ST Railway Employees Association, Ashok Kumar said they demand reservation not only in promotions but elsewhere also where none exist.
The protesters also demanded that the reservation be provided in private sector, higher education and judiciary.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on how Pampore attack destabilized India's relation with Pakistan
- Panel discussion on how Pampore attack destabilized India's relation with Pakistan - Part II
- Panel discussion on how Pampore attack destabilized India's relation with Pakistan - Part III
- Hafiz Saeed warns of jihad to free Pak rivers from India
- Maysore Maharaja Yaduveer ties knot with princess Trishika of Dungarpur
- Team India to attend preparatory camp under new coach Anil Kumble!
- Like seriously! Marijuana is legal in these 8 countries
- Security alert! Islamic State militants release 'kill list', target 4000 people including 285 Indians
- Nephew Krushna Abhishek apologises to Govinda! – Know why
- 'Tulsidas ji pranam' — Read Bihar's topper Ruby Rai's 'shocking' essay on famous poet