Reservation: Dalits stage demonstration in capital
New Delhi: Dalit activists on Monday staged a demonstration here demanding reservation for the community in promotions and threatened to launch a massive protest if their demands are not met.
The protest was organised by All India Confederation of SC/ST Organisations at Jantar Mantar.
A R Joshi, chief patron of the Confederation, said they were sending a memorandum to President Pratibha Patil and Prime Minister Manmohan Singh.
"If we do not get positive response from them, then we`ll intensify our struggle," he said.
Acting Chairman of the Confederation and representative of the All India SC/ST Railway Employees Association, Ashok Kumar said they demand reservation not only in promotions but elsewhere also where none exist.
The protesters also demanded that the reservation be provided in private sector, higher education and judiciary.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Ayodhya dispute: SC asks parties to solve matter amicably, offers mediation
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- This fiery speech by Yogi Adityanath in Parliament on communal riots is setting internet on fire - MUST WATCH
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Team Yogi Adityanath: List of Yogi's ministers with their portfolios - Check who got what