Reservation for Muslims unacceptable: VHP
Raipur: The Vishwa Hindu Parishad (VHP) on Sunday termed union Law Minister Salman Khurshid`s remarks on reservations for backward Muslims "unacceptable" and threatened a nation-wide campaign against the idea.
"Any reservation for Muslims as it has been proposed recently in Uttar Pradesh`s poll campaign is unacceptable for Hindus. Giving reservations based on religion is also unconstitutional," VHP leader Praveen Togadia told reporters.
"Some people want to divide nation in name of Muslim reservations. This is all happening for the sake of vote bank politics, we will launch a nationwide campaign against such a move," he said.
Khurshid has sparked controversy recently in poll-bound Uttar Pradesh and also angered the Election Commission while proposing nine percent quota to minorities, including backward Muslims, within 27 percent reservation for Other Backward Classes (OBCs) if the Congress is voted to power in Uttar Pradesh.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Watch: ISIS terrorist blown into pieces while bragging about his previous victory
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living