Reservation issue: Jat leaders thank UPA Chairperson Sonia Gandhi
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: UPA Chairperson Sonia Gandhi on Sunday met a delegation of Jat leaders who thanked her for the decision of recommending reservation for the community in central government jobs.
Today`s meeting between the Jat community leaders with Gandhi is considered to be a significant development as the decision of the Union Cabinet is being seen as an effort of the UPA to woo the community ahead of the 2014 General Elections.
Haryana Chief Minister Bhupinder Singh Hooda, his son, Deepender Singh Hooda, and former speaker Balram Jakhar were among the prominent leaders who called on Sonia.
The UPA chairperson, in turn, surprised the crowd which landed up at her gates by stepping outside her residence to greet them.
Expressing his gratitude, Deepender said that the doors for the community was closed following a National Commission for Backward Classes (NCBC) decision in 1999, but added that things looked positive for them with the Union Cabinet`s direction to the former.
The Cabinet had on Thursday asked NCBC to take a final call on granting Jats OBC status at the central level.
The Cabinet decided that NCBC should reconsider its 2011 decision in which it had rejected the demand for Jat reservation in central government jobs.
The demand for reservation for Jats has come from nine states - Gujarat, Haryana, Himachal Pradesh, Madhya Pradesh, Rajasthan, Uttar Pradesh, Delhi, Uttarakhand and Bihar.
Notably, if Jats are included in the central list of OBCs, they can avail benefits of reservation in central government jobs and central education institutions as per the existing norms.
With PTI inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why