Reservation issue: Jat leaders thank UPA Chairperson Sonia Gandhi
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: UPA Chairperson Sonia Gandhi on Sunday met a delegation of Jat leaders who thanked her for the decision of recommending reservation for the community in central government jobs.
Today`s meeting between the Jat community leaders with Gandhi is considered to be a significant development as the decision of the Union Cabinet is being seen as an effort of the UPA to woo the community ahead of the 2014 General Elections.
Haryana Chief Minister Bhupinder Singh Hooda, his son, Deepender Singh Hooda, and former speaker Balram Jakhar were among the prominent leaders who called on Sonia.
The UPA chairperson, in turn, surprised the crowd which landed up at her gates by stepping outside her residence to greet them.
Expressing his gratitude, Deepender said that the doors for the community was closed following a National Commission for Backward Classes (NCBC) decision in 1999, but added that things looked positive for them with the Union Cabinet`s direction to the former.
The Cabinet had on Thursday asked NCBC to take a final call on granting Jats OBC status at the central level.
The Cabinet decided that NCBC should reconsider its 2011 decision in which it had rejected the demand for Jat reservation in central government jobs.
The demand for reservation for Jats has come from nine states - Gujarat, Haryana, Himachal Pradesh, Madhya Pradesh, Rajasthan, Uttar Pradesh, Delhi, Uttarakhand and Bihar.
Notably, if Jats are included in the central list of OBCs, they can avail benefits of reservation in central government jobs and central education institutions as per the existing norms.
With PTI inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Unidentified flying objects spotted over Mumbai airport not motorised: Home Department
- Militants kill five, target telecoms in Kashmir attacks
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- CBSE Class 12th Board Exam Results 2015: cbseresults.nic.in crashes