Reservation issue: Jat leaders to meet Sonia Gandhi today
New Delhi: Jat leaders will meet Congress chief Sonia Gandhi on Sunday against the backdrop of government asking the backwards commission to take an expeditious call on granting the community reservation in central government jobs.
The meeting of the jat community leaders with Gandhi assumes significance as the decision of the Union Cabinet is being seen as an effort of the UPA to woo the community ahead of the Lok Sabha elections due next year.
The Union Cabinet on Thursday had asked the National Commission of Backward Classes to take a final call on granting them with OBC status at the central level.
The Cabinet decided that the NCBC should reconsider its earlier decision of 2011 in which it had rejected demands for reservation to the community at the central level.
If jats are included in the central list of OBCs, they can avail benefits of reservation in central government jobs and central education institutions as per the existing norms.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’