Resident visas for kin of Saudi expatriate workers
Dubai: Millions of expatriates in Saudi Arabia including Indians are heaving a sigh of relief as the government here has decided to issue permanent resident visas for wives and children of the workers, without considering their profession.
The country`s foreign ministry said permanent resident
and visit visas will be issued to those in `white-collar` jobs
such as engineers, doctors and executives and would only look
at the financial status of the applicant, Arabic daily Al-Yaum
"The ministry`s office in Riyadh issued such
recruitment visas for three days last week and stopped it
temporarily. It is expected that the ministry would resume the
service next month," a ministry official told the paper.
Following the report, a large number of Indian workers
have approached the Indian Embassy in Riyadh and consulate in
Jeddah to include their spouses` names in their passports.
Indian missions are now issuing new passports after
including spouses` names.
The news is a big relief for many of the seven million
expatriates, who are unable to bring their families due to
their profession written on their `iqama` (identity cards).
"The family visa is no more linked with profession,"
the official said, adding that the ministry stopped processing
applications in order to implement the new criteria.
People who want to include the names of spouses should
attach attested marriage certificates and those who have
married recently should register their marriages by producing
relevant documents, the official added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says