‘Resolving Kashmir issue crucial for peace in SA`
Washington: The path to long-term peace in South Asia lies in resolving the Kashmir issue and America has has held discussions in this regard with leaders in both India and Pakistan, a top Pentagon official said.
"I`ve said a couple years ago, and I believe today...solving Kashmir unlocks the whole place, that`s the path for
long-term solutions," Admiral Mike Mullen, Chairman of the
Joint Chiefs of Staff, said in response to a question at the
Carnegie Endowment for International Peace, a Washington-based
"Very difficult issue; that isn`t going to go away, it
isn`t going to get better over time. And I have had those
discussions, actually with both Pakistani leadership as well
as Indian leadership.
"I said earlier this isn`t just about Afghanistan and
Pakistan. It`s a regional issue, and that includes India and
other neighbours. But certainly in India -- and I know that
has been for a significant period of time -- an existential
threat with respect to Pakistan. It remains today," he said.
The top US military commander said the totality of the
region is the need to focus on responsibly so that it doesn`t
deteriorate into "either a civil war, a failed state with
nuclear weapons, which is huge danger to the future not just
of the region but of the world".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jharkhand: 2 dead, several injured in clashes between police, villagers in Ramgarh
- Delhi minister meets Jain monk over Vishal Dadlani tweet controversy
- One killed in annual bull racing in Peru
- 16-year-old Indian-origin boy finds cure for breast cancer treatment
- Heartbreaking! Denied medical help, 12-year-old UP boy dies on dad's shoulder
- Swiss fighter jet missing, believed crashed: Ministry
- PM Narendra Modi reviews plans to counter strike by trade unions
- 'Indo-US logistic pact is not agreement to set up bases'
- Defiant Rousseff says Brazil's democracy on trial with her
- Small group holding majority to ransom: Manohar Parrikar on Kashmir