Respect verdict of Parliament: PM tells Team Anna
New Delhi: In a clear message to Team Anna,
Prime Minister Manmohan Singh on Wednesday asked the activists to
respect the verdict of the Parliament on the Lokpal Bill.
"Legislation is the privilege of the Indian Parliament.
That is what the Constitution says... When Parliament has
spoken it is time for other persons to take note," he told
reporters when asked about Team Anna`s criticism of the Lokpal
Bill passed by the Lok Sabha.
"We hope that those with divergent views will respect the
verdict of the parliament," he said at a joint press
conference with Japanese Prime Minister Yoshihiko Noda.
Singh said that the Lok Sabha had passed a Lokpal bill
with a substantial majority.
"The bill will be presented to the Rajya Sabha tomorrow
and I hope it will be passed," he said.
Even as Anna Hazare abruptly called off his three-day
fast for a strong Lokpal, his supporters attacked the
government for a "weak" Lokpal Bill that was passed by the Lok
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- J Jayalalithaa passes away: Know what all she left behind in assets