Response to strike overwhelming: Trade unions
New Delhi: Central trade unions Wednesday said that the first day of their nationwide strike in support of demands to contain inflation and employment generation had drawn "overwhelming response".
All India Trade Union Congress (AITUC) general secretary Gurudas Dasgupta said here that the strike was "unprecedented".
"All the central trade unions congratulate the working people of India for their overwhelming and magnificent response to the united call for two-day country wide strike, which commenced this morning," Dasgupta said.
Asked about the violence in Noida during the strike, he said it was unfortunate.
The shutdown had turned violent in Noida as workers attacked factories that were open and set fire to vehicles and fire tenders that were trying to douse the flames.
Dasgupta, a CPI-M MP, said the government should take note of the support extended by people to the strike.
He said the strike would continue Thursday.
Centre of Indian Trade Unions (CITU) president A.K. Padmanabhan said they were expecting 10 crore people to participate in the strike and support for the shutdown had been to their expectations.
Union leaders said the strike had seen participation from several sectors including banking, public sector defence units, industry, hotels, financial institutions and taxi and auto drivers.
The unions have demanded concrete measures for containing inflation, steps for employment generation, universal social security, and making the minimum wage Rs.10,000 per month, along with daily allowance.
The two-day strike has been called jointly by 11 trade unions including Indian Trade Union Congress (INTUC), AITUC, Hind Mazdoor Sabha (HMS), Centre of Indian Trade Unions (CITU), All India United Trade Union Centre (AIUTUC), Bharatiya Mazdoor Sangh.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow