Response to strike overwhelming: Trade unions
New Delhi: Central trade unions Wednesday said that the first day of their nationwide strike in support of demands to contain inflation and employment generation had drawn "overwhelming response".
All India Trade Union Congress (AITUC) general secretary Gurudas Dasgupta said here that the strike was "unprecedented".
"All the central trade unions congratulate the working people of India for their overwhelming and magnificent response to the united call for two-day country wide strike, which commenced this morning," Dasgupta said.
Asked about the violence in Noida during the strike, he said it was unfortunate.
The shutdown had turned violent in Noida as workers attacked factories that were open and set fire to vehicles and fire tenders that were trying to douse the flames.
Dasgupta, a CPI-M MP, said the government should take note of the support extended by people to the strike.
He said the strike would continue Thursday.
Centre of Indian Trade Unions (CITU) president A.K. Padmanabhan said they were expecting 10 crore people to participate in the strike and support for the shutdown had been to their expectations.
Union leaders said the strike had seen participation from several sectors including banking, public sector defence units, industry, hotels, financial institutions and taxi and auto drivers.
The unions have demanded concrete measures for containing inflation, steps for employment generation, universal social security, and making the minimum wage Rs.10,000 per month, along with daily allowance.
The two-day strike has been called jointly by 11 trade unions including Indian Trade Union Congress (INTUC), AITUC, Hind Mazdoor Sabha (HMS), Centre of Indian Trade Unions (CITU), All India United Trade Union Centre (AIUTUC), Bharatiya Mazdoor Sangh.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know