Restricting police from carrying firearms ill-conceived: BJP
Jammu: Describing the Omar government`s order of restricting security personnel from carrying lethal weapons while on duty, the BJP on Saturday said that the order was passed in total disregard of the principles of security deployment.
"The March 1, 2013 government order restricting the police and paramilitary personnel from carrying lethal weapons while on law and order duty is ill-conceived and unprofessional," BJP state chief spokesperson and national executive member, Jitendra Singh told reporters here today.
A directive was issued by the ADGP (Law and Order) on March 1, which said all security forces deployed in law and order duty, should not carry firearms and weapons.
"Such a direction was passed in total disregard of the principles of security deployment and what is worst is, instead of maintaining confidentiality, which is expected in such security related decisions, the government order is an open secret known to militants, who have skilfully used it to ambush and target police and paramilitary personnel repeatedly during the past two weeks," he said.
It is ridiculous to note how the government justifies that police and para-military personnel carry weapons when fighting militants but not while on routine patrolling duty in militancy-affected areas, Singh said.
"Does the government expect militants to give a prior information of an attack?" he wondered.
He asked whether the Chief Minister and other Ministers also disarmed their PSOs and SSG personnel, instructing them to pick up weapons only when attacked by militants.
Precision and professional expertise are required before
taking such sensitive decisions said Singh, adding that political considerations cannot be allowed to bias these decisions, risking lives of innocent jawans.
Questioning the suggestion of selective withdrawal of AFSPA from some districts, Singh said, it means that if a security personnel while chasing a militant, enters from an AFSPA district to a non-AFSPA district, he will suddenly be devoid of all protection available under the AFSPA and turn to a soft target before the same militant whom he is chasing.
Calling for immediate revocation of the government order for cops, Singh added that it will help restore confidence among security forces.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BCCI announces Team India squad for Bangladesh tour
- Sudha Shivpuri aka 'Baa' of 'Kyuki Saas Bhi Kabhi Bahu Thi' dies
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- Kejriwal accuses Centre of trying to rule Delhi through LG
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- Expect that Rahul will be Congress president in 2015: Jairam Ramesh
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- IPL 2015: Rajasthan Royals vs Royal Challengers Bangalore - As it happened...
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'
- Bihar Intermediate Result 2015 declared