Results in WB, Assam `spectacular`; in TN disappointing: PC
New Delhi: Home Minister P Chidambaram on Friday described the victory of TMC-Congress alliance in West Bengal and Congress in Assam as "spectacular" and termed the poll results in Tamil Nadu as "disappointing".
In a statement, Chidambaram said he was delighted by the massive victory recorded by the TMC-Congress alliance in West Bengal and the Congress party in Assam.
He said in West Bengal, it was the expected vote for comprehensive change and in Assam, it was the expected vote for continuity.
"In both states our alliance pledged to work for inclusive growth, providing security to all the people, and working for peace and harmony.
"The scale of the victory in both states is truly spectacular. I spoke to Mamata Banerjee and Tarun Gogoi earlier today and offered them my warmest congratulations," he said.
In Tamil Nadu, the Home Minister said, the DMK-Congress alliance has done poorly and congratulated Jayalalithaa-led AIADMK for its victory in the Assembly polls in Tamil Nadu.
"We are disappointed. I take this opportunity to congratulate the AIADMK and its allies on their splendid victory and wish the new government success," Chidambaram, who also hails from Tamil Nadu, said.
Chidambaram said in Kerala it appears that the Congress led UDF will acquire a slender majority and will be able to form the Government which is a happy and welcome development.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report
- MEA declines information on Lalit Modi's passport issue, draws flak
- School director beaten to death after two students found dead in Bihar
- #SelfieWithDaughter trends worldwide on Twitter after PM Modi's 'Mann Ki Baat'