Resurgence of Taliban, al Qaeda a real challenge: Foreign Secy
New Delhi: Describing the resurgence of
Taliban and al Qaeda as a "real challenge", India on Wednesday asked
the international community to put "effective pressure" on
Pakistan to implement its commitment to deal with terror
groups in its territory, failing which the region could be
catapulted into spiral of violence.
"Terrorism remains an essential challenge to the regional
security.....There is a real challenge posed by the resurgence
of Taliban and al Qaeda. There is a need for the international
community to re-commit its assistance to Afghanistan.....
"There is a growing consensus that the increase in terror
activities in Afghanistan is linked to the support available
in the contiguous areas," Foreign Secretary Nirupama Rao said
while delivering a keynote address at a conference on South
Emphasising the need for the international community to
"put effective pressure on Pakistan to implement its stated
commitment to deal with terror groups within its territory or
else the past eight years in Afghanistan will be wiped-out,"
she said "failure to act effectively runs the risk of
catapulting the region into spiral of violence".
She also rubbished Pakistan`s claim of seizing India-made
arms from the Taliban stronghold of South Waziristan, saying
there was no "factual basis" for these reports.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Unidentified flying objects spotted over Mumbai airport not motorised: Home Department
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Is there life after death?
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800