Retail companies opening stores in India can`t be made conditional: BJP
New Delhi: BJP on Monday said India cannnot make opening of stores by multi-brand retail giants in any city conditional to state government`s clearance as the country has signed bilateral investment agreements, which says that no conditions can be put on foreign investors, with 82 countries.
The Opposition also alleged FDI in multi-brand retail will increase unemployment in the country.
BJP sought an explanation from Congress on these issues and asked whether the state government would have a real right to reject the entry of FDI in multi-brand retail.
"India has entered into bilateral investment agreements with 82 countries. The basic feature of these bilateral treaties is that they accord national treatment to foreign investors. The effect of this provision is that India cannot put any condition on foreign investors which are not applicable to domestic investors," BJP spokesperson Prakash Javadekar said.
He cited a Kerala High Court ruling which had struck down the Left Front government`s attempt to stop "corporate retailers" by denying them shop and establishment license.
"As there are no restrictions on local retail chains, the restrictions on foreign chains by the states would be declared by the courts as void," Javadekar said.
The right-wing party also charged UPA`s decision to allow FDI in multi-brand retail will have an adverse impact on the existing jobs and also on new job opportunities in the present retail structure.
BJP also claimed the erstwhile NDA government had created eight million jobs per year while UPA has been unable to meet even one-fourth of this figure. "UPA never crossed the figure of two million in any year of its existence," Javadekar said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- Arvind Kejriwal's Aam Aadmi Party changes its logo
- Unidentified flying objects spotted over Mumbai airport not motorised: Home Department
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Militants kill five, target telecoms in Kashmir attacks
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah