Retail companies opening stores in India can`t be made conditional: BJP
New Delhi: BJP on Monday said India cannnot make opening of stores by multi-brand retail giants in any city conditional to state government`s clearance as the country has signed bilateral investment agreements, which says that no conditions can be put on foreign investors, with 82 countries.
The Opposition also alleged FDI in multi-brand retail will increase unemployment in the country.
BJP sought an explanation from Congress on these issues and asked whether the state government would have a real right to reject the entry of FDI in multi-brand retail.
"India has entered into bilateral investment agreements with 82 countries. The basic feature of these bilateral treaties is that they accord national treatment to foreign investors. The effect of this provision is that India cannot put any condition on foreign investors which are not applicable to domestic investors," BJP spokesperson Prakash Javadekar said.
He cited a Kerala High Court ruling which had struck down the Left Front government`s attempt to stop "corporate retailers" by denying them shop and establishment license.
"As there are no restrictions on local retail chains, the restrictions on foreign chains by the states would be declared by the courts as void," Javadekar said.
The right-wing party also charged UPA`s decision to allow FDI in multi-brand retail will have an adverse impact on the existing jobs and also on new job opportunities in the present retail structure.
BJP also claimed the erstwhile NDA government had created eight million jobs per year while UPA has been unable to meet even one-fourth of this figure. "UPA never crossed the figure of two million in any year of its existence," Javadekar said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report