Retail fire spreads to Congress, govt in a fix
New Delhi: After Opposition and allies, cracks are appearing within the Congress party over the UPA government’s decision to press ahead with a plan to allow 51% FDI in multi-brand retail.
Congress Member of Parliament from Uttar Pradesh, Sanjay Singh feels that multinationals will come with billions and hurt poor, unorganised people in backward states like UP.
Making his dissent clear, he opined that the move will be detrimental to the Congress’ interests. He said, “I will write a letter to the PM. Party has always stood by the poor sections of the society…this is not the right time to take such a decision.”
Yesterday, Congress’ Kerala unit chief Ramesh Chennithala had also written to the Prime Minister against opening up of the retail sector.
“There are 10 lakh small and marginal merchants operating here (in Kerala). Bringing in FDI in this highly competitive sector will be detrimental to the future of Kerala`s retail traders, who stand to lose their livelihood to the big fish like Wal-Mart,” Chennithala was quoted as saying.
The government had this morning convened an all-party meeting over the issue but it failed to break the deadlock even as Parliament remained stalled for the sixth consecutive day.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Turkey has the right to defend its airspace, says Obama
- J&K: Terrorists attack Army camp at Tangdhar near LoC
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's ignorance on Kashmiri Pandits
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- Army camp attacked in J&K's Kupwara; three JeM terrorists, one civilian killed
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Aamir Khan's 12-day mystery: From lauding Modi's 'positive India' to dubbing India as 'intolerant'