Retd Indian Col among 61 foreigners to be honoured by Bangladesh
Dhaka: Bangladesh is set to honour 61 "foreign friends", including a retired Indian Colonel who rescued Premier Sheikh Hasina and some other members of her family from captivity of Pakistani troops in 1971, for their outstanding contribution to its Liberation War.
"Sixty one more foreigners are expected to receive the honour this time" on October 20, Additional Foreign Secretary Mostafa Kamal said.
They will be conferred with "Muktijuddho Maitry Sanmanana" at Bangabandhu International Conference Centre, he said.
Kamal said several of them are veterans of the 1971 Liberation War like Indian Colonel (Retd) Ashok Tara while the rest extended their wholehearted support to Bangladesh`s cause as politicians, journalists, artistes, diplomats or civil society figures of different countries.
70-year-old Tara is a well-known veteran who took part in and survived several deadly battles with Pakistani troops. The retired Indian Colonel, who was a Major at that time, however, is more known for his role in rescuing Hasina, her mother Begum Fajilatunnesa Mujib, sister Sheikh Rehana and brother Sheikh Rasel from captivity of Pakistani troops at a house at the fag end of the 1971 Liberation War.
The list of 61 recipients who confirmed their arrival was not disclosed but officials familiar with the process said most of them were from India. In most cases their relatives or representatives would receive the honour as many of the foreign friends could not come because of old age and several of them had already passed away.
President Zillur Rahman and Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina would ceremonially hand them over the awards at the third such ceremony. The government had earlier decided to gradually honour the foreign friends across the world in phases.
Late Indian Prime Minister Indira Gandhi was the first "foreign friend" to be conferred with the honour. Her daughter-in-law and Congress President Sonia Gandhi received the honour on her behalf last year.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists, says Farooq Abdullah
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- UP: DM B Chandrakala participates in anti-riots drill in Bulandshahr
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?
- Russian MP dies while ‘having sex’ inside car - Read
- Ban on Salman Rushdie's 'The Satanic Verses' by Rajiv Gandhi govt was a mistake: P Chidambaram
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list