Return of Italian marines is India`s diplomatic success: HK Dua
Amritsar: "Forcing" Italy to return its marines for trial in the case relating to Indian fishermen`s murder is a major "diplomatic success" for the country, former Ambassador to Denmark, journalist and Rajya Sabha MP HK Dua said on Sunday.
The two marines were on board an Italian vessel `Enrica Lexie` when they allegedly shot dead two fishermen off the Kerala coast on February 15, last year.
Citing it as an example, Dua said while talking to reporters during the 107th annual convocation of the Khalsa College Amritsar (KCA) here, that the country`s foreign policy is taking a new shape and India must choose "different elements" for different regions of the world, including North America, EU, Africa and Asia, to mark its presence in world politics.
India is emerging as a major economic power despite some hiccups in its growth story and its foreign policy must change accordingly, he said.
On the eroding credibility of media, Dua said there has been visible damage to the media`s image but it`s still expanding and hoped that "inner voices" will emerge and media will resort to self-introspection.
"No doubt we have not been able to meet expectations. But, it is a vast country with problems of population, casteism and illiteracy. We must have confidence and work harder to achieve goals", he said.
Expressing concern over the growing menace of drug addiction in Punjab, Dua warned that the situation should not escalate to the level of North East states where the problem has infested the society.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- News reporter Hemant Yadav shot by unidentified bikers
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- Was Giani Zail Singh planning to topple Rajiv Gandhi govt in 1987?