Reveal files related to mercy plea of Guru, others
New Delhi: The CIC has directed the Home Ministry to make public file notings and material related to the mercy plea of death convicts, including Afzal Guru, on the basis of which it tenders advise to the President.
Conceding that advice tendered by the Cabinet to the President are exempt from disclosure under Article 74 of the Constitution, the Central Information Commission made it clear that the material forming the basis of advice does not enjoy such immunity.
"The Commission directed the CPIO of MHA to disclose the copies of file notings not forming part of the ministerial advice to the President of India, as sought by the Appellant...After severing all the names and references regarding the identities of public servants regarding those file notings and making those correspondence", Information Commissioner Sushma Singh said.
Singh while hearing the plea of activist Subhash Agrawal also directed the Ministry to disclose the copies of correspondence made by the MHA to the President`s Secretariat in connection with the mercy petitions, barring those which attract exemption clause related to national security under the RTI Act.
"File notings and correspondence in relation to mercy petitions...Reflect the material on the basis of which advice and recommendations are made by the MHA to the President of India and thus fall under the category of information which is not barred by Article 74(2) of the Constitution of India", she said in her order.
The Information Commissioner said such correspondence exchanged between the MHA and President`s Secretariat has to be tested on the touchstone of section eight of the RTI Act, which lists exemption clauses, and assessed whether the disclosure of such information is exempted under it.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: 8-year-old boy dies after falling into pothole
- Woman commits suicide in UP after posting message on social media
- Nirbhaya gang-rape convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail
- Rajnath Singh, Mehbooba Mufti hold joint press conference on Kashmir violence
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- Being overweight linked to eight more kinds of cancer
- Pentagon probes possible civilian casualties in Syria strike: official
- Actress Leslie Jones' website hacked, nude photos posted
- Afghan forces hunt gunmen after American University attack
- Islamic State attacks Western-backed camp on Jordan-Syria border