Revealing staff of judges` would affect their functioning: SC
New Delhi: The Supreme Court has refused to reveal identities of officers working with Chief Justice of India and other judges saying it would affect the functioning of judges with whom they have been attached besides being an invasion of their privacy.
Responding to activist Subhash Agrawal, Central Public Information Officer of the Supreme Court and Additional Registrar Smita Vatsa Sharma said the disclosure of identity of officers would affect the functioning of the judges, their safety and make system unworkable.
Through his RTI application, Agrawal had wanted to know complete information including their names, ranks, pay scales of official and personal staff of Chief Justice of India and other judges appointed at their offices and residences at the cost of the state exchequer.
Sharma in her reply cited section 8(1)(g) which exempts information which could endanger safety of an individual and section 8(1)(j) which relates to personal information to withhold the information sought by Agrawal.
"The disclosure of identity of the officers/officials as sought for by you would affect the functioning of the honourable judges with whom each of the above officer/official is attached, personnel safety of honourable judges and make the system unworkable and no larger public interest would be served by disclosure of such information," the reply said.
In her reply, Sharma said its disclosure would also be an intrusion into judges` discharge of judicial and administrative functions.
"Therefore information sought by you is exempted under section 8(1)(g) and (j) of the Right to Information Act, 2005 you have no right to access the information under section 2(j) of the Right to Information Act, 2005," the reply said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Ram Mandir in Ayodhya will be built soon, says Thawar Chand Gehlot
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Boon for SC/ST candidates? Birth, caste certificates likely to be merged