Revealing staff of judges` would affect their functioning: SC
New Delhi: The Supreme Court has refused to reveal identities of officers working with Chief Justice of India and other judges saying it would affect the functioning of judges with whom they have been attached besides being an invasion of their privacy.
Responding to activist Subhash Agrawal, Central Public Information Officer of the Supreme Court and Additional Registrar Smita Vatsa Sharma said the disclosure of identity of officers would affect the functioning of the judges, their safety and make system unworkable.
Through his RTI application, Agrawal had wanted to know complete information including their names, ranks, pay scales of official and personal staff of Chief Justice of India and other judges appointed at their offices and residences at the cost of the state exchequer.
Sharma in her reply cited section 8(1)(g) which exempts information which could endanger safety of an individual and section 8(1)(j) which relates to personal information to withhold the information sought by Agrawal.
"The disclosure of identity of the officers/officials as sought for by you would affect the functioning of the honourable judges with whom each of the above officer/official is attached, personnel safety of honourable judges and make the system unworkable and no larger public interest would be served by disclosure of such information," the reply said.
In her reply, Sharma said its disclosure would also be an intrusion into judges` discharge of judicial and administrative functions.
"Therefore information sought by you is exempted under section 8(1)(g) and (j) of the Right to Information Act, 2005 you have no right to access the information under section 2(j) of the Right to Information Act, 2005," the reply said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- DNA: Should strict action be taken against stone pelters of J&K?
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- Gautam Gambhir gives Aussies perfect send-off, says true champions let their game do all the talking!
- Reliance Jio closes in on 50 million paid users