Review: ‘3 Idiots’ ends 2009 with a bang
New Delhi: Expect nothing short of a masterpiece when two geniuses (Rajkumar Hirani and Aamir Khan) come together! Rajkumar Hirani’s ‘3 Idiots’ starring Aamir Khan, Kareena Kapoor, Sharman Joshi, R Madhavan and the inimitable Boman Irani is a Box Office winner as the movie simply astounds you with powerhouse performances, terse script, crisp editing and an excellent storyline (with due thanks to Chetan Bhagat).
‘3 Idiots’ is the story of Rancho (Aamir Khan), Farhan (R Madhavan) and Raju Rastogi (Sharman Joshi) who bump into each other at a prestigious Imperial College of Engineering. The sacrosanct space is headed by none other than Viru Sahastrabudhhe (Boman Irani) whose opening address to the students on success reminds you of the much-loved Dr Asthana from ‘Munnabhai MBBS.’
The movie opens with a flash back where Farhan and Raju embark on a journey to trace their college mate Rancho, a friend whose vision gave a new turn to their lives.
Much of the narrative is based on flash back mode where Farhan tells us about their friendship, Pia (Kareena Kapoor, who plays the daughter of professor Sahastrabudhhe) and the love story of Rancho.
For starters, ‘3 Idiots’ can be well considered as a step further from ‘Taare Zameen Par’ where Aamir once again takes up his mission of making us realize how futile is our education system - a system based on cramming books rather than knowledge, a rotten and senile value system which decides one’s fate on the basis of marks and holds reason above emotions.
In ‘3 Idiots’, Rancho is the enlightened one who guides his friends in understanding the real purpose of life and education - something which liberates and opens one’s mind. The biggest knowledge is self-knowledge and to do something, which you enjoy the most because a life lived under duress, leads to discontent. Leading a life with someone else’s dream can never give you true happiness and this is the motto of the film.
‘3 Idiots’ is a befitting reply to all those people who are running after success. As Rancho puts it, one should run after ‘excellence’ rather than ‘success’ because when one attains the former, the latter follows!
In all, ‘3 Idiots’ is a complete ‘paisa vasool’ film that will keep you engaged till the last hour!
Be it the college scene where one comes across a truly funny ragging scene or be it Chatur’s Hindi speech that completely leaves you in splits - everything is so convincing about the flick that not even once one gets bored or loses interest!
Frankly speaking, ‘3 Idiots’ is an out-and-out Aamir film as the actor successfully pulls off the college kid with great élan.
Madhavan and Sharman are at their best as they do full justice to their roles. Boman Irani is simply the best when it comes to an author-backed role of a bumbling professor. Kareena is nice and breezy in her medical student’s short but sweet role.
‘3 Idiots’ is a must watch this festive season!
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire