Review group set up by govt to tackle Naxalism
New Delhi: Government has constituted a Review Group to promote coordinated efforts to tackle Naxalism in affected areas of the country, Defence Minister A K Antony told the Rajya Sabha on Wednesday.
In a written reply to the House, he said, "Government has constituted a Review Group to promote coordinated efforts across a range of development and security activities to tackle Naxal problems in the affected areas in a comprehensive manner."
The Group has Cabinet Secretary as its Chairman and its members are drawn from all concerned Ministries, he added.
On whether the Army is being used to tackle Naxalism, Antony said, "Indian Army is not being used to tackle problem of Naxalism in our country."
Replying to a question on fire incidents in ordnance depots, he said, "During last five years fire incidents have taken place in three Ordnance Ammunition Depots.
Separate court of inquiries have been conducted in each of these incidents and no individual was found blameworthy for these incidents."
On losses incurred due to these incidents, he said, "The loss due to these incidents has been estimated at Rs 710 crores approximately."
In reply to a question on blacklisting of foreign firms, he said, "In March, 2012, the Ministry decided imposition of penalties against six firms including debarring them from further business dealing with all the wings of this Ministry for a period of ten years."
Whenever allegations of corruption are received against companies supplying defence equipment to the government, appropriate action including that of blacklisting is taken, he added.
He denied that some of these companies have been granted exemption. "None of the six companies has been exempted from this list after being debarred," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's speech at Gorakhnath temple
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- Amit Shah addresses BJP's mega convention in Delhi
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?