Review group set up by govt to tackle Naxalism
New Delhi: Government has constituted a Review Group to promote coordinated efforts to tackle Naxalism in affected areas of the country, Defence Minister A K Antony told the Rajya Sabha on Wednesday.
In a written reply to the House, he said, "Government has constituted a Review Group to promote coordinated efforts across a range of development and security activities to tackle Naxal problems in the affected areas in a comprehensive manner."
The Group has Cabinet Secretary as its Chairman and its members are drawn from all concerned Ministries, he added.
On whether the Army is being used to tackle Naxalism, Antony said, "Indian Army is not being used to tackle problem of Naxalism in our country."
Replying to a question on fire incidents in ordnance depots, he said, "During last five years fire incidents have taken place in three Ordnance Ammunition Depots.
Separate court of inquiries have been conducted in each of these incidents and no individual was found blameworthy for these incidents."
On losses incurred due to these incidents, he said, "The loss due to these incidents has been estimated at Rs 710 crores approximately."
In reply to a question on blacklisting of foreign firms, he said, "In March, 2012, the Ministry decided imposition of penalties against six firms including debarring them from further business dealing with all the wings of this Ministry for a period of ten years."
Whenever allegations of corruption are received against companies supplying defence equipment to the government, appropriate action including that of blacklisting is taken, he added.
He denied that some of these companies have been granted exemption. "None of the six companies has been exempted from this list after being debarred," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Indian Army avenges Uri with surgical strikes across LoC, heavy casualties
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says